Supplier for PQ Labs in Central Europe

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
orthogonalrecords

Supplier for PQ Labs in Central Europe

Post by orthogonalrecords » 02 Oct 2016 13:04

Hi all!

I am having a hard time trying to find a supplier for PQ Labs products in central europe. Can it really be that there exist no single store in Europe offering these products to consumers? I am located in Austria.

I only found fingersgadget.com who is only selling to businesses.
US companies like crunchytech also don't ship to Austria.
Since DTouch is from Italy, I thought you might have some suggestions where to buy those PQ Labs overlays in Europe?

Thanks upfront and best regards,
Markus

Constantine

Re: Supplier for PQ Labs in Central Europe

Post by Constantine » 03 Oct 2016 11:24

Hi,
At first I had the same problem as you. I'd found just a store but with quite high transport costs.
Try to find a touchscreen monitor. Is easier. Very good time response and is much healthy for your eyes.
Some Touchscreen Monitors from japanese producer Iiyama::

ProLite 27 inch - 533https://www.senetic.fr/product/T2735MSC-B2
ProLite 32 inch - 1156https://www.amazon.fr/31-5in-Led-1920x1 ... ma+prolite
ProLite 42 inch - 1522https://www.amazon.fr/Ilyama-TH4264MIS- ... ma+prolite
ProLite 46 inch - 2271https://www.amazon.fr/iiyama-TF4637MSC- ... ma+prolite

I have a 42 inch Iiyama Touchscreen Monitor and I think it was the best deal. This producer have the best prices on the market.
Here is a previous post: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=99

Constantine

orthogonalrecords

Post by orthogonalrecords » 03 Oct 2016 18:17

Hi Constantine,

thank you for your answer.

I must say I am well aware of the Iiyama Touchscreens and already thought about getting one of these. On the other hand I think that they are quite expensive and I have to add the touch-base driver (€133 for mac) as well, as long as Dtouch isn't offering a Cubase Mac version.

The only inexpensive solution would be the 27" version of the ProLite which I fear is too small for my needs. I am working with two 27" LCD screens at the moment (even worked with 3 for over a year, but removed the third one due to neck pain). So when buying a 27" screen I guess I should get two of those again leaving me with a non continuous image (due to the bezel), which is something I am trying to avoid.

So I thought I might just get a 42" or 46" TV and a touch foil. I wrote to zaagtech today and asked if they are offering shipment to Austria. I saw that brucerothwell from gearslutz is using those overlays in conjunction with DTouch. Let's wait what they say and what price they gonna quote me.

Thanks again and best regards,
Markus

Constantine

Post by Constantine » 03 Oct 2016 19:13

HI,

For me a G5s 42-inch frame from PQLabs is almost $ 1000 with shipping costs. And that's just the frame. And a good 42 inch TV is more than 400-500 $. I preferred to give a little more money and get rid of headaches. A touchscreen monitor was the best solution for me. Anyway, maybe you can get cheaper in your country. Good luck.

Sincerely,
Constantine

orthogonalrecords

Post by orthogonalrecords » 04 Oct 2016 08:26

Hi all!

I just got a quote from zaagtech.
The 40" V7 X Series 6 Touch Overlay (see http://www.zaagtech.com/X-Series-Specifications.html) would be $286,- + $60,- shipping costs. According to my knowledge this means that the product would cost about €420,- (including customs and tax).

So, together with a tv set like the Samsung UE40J5150 (€350,- over here) it would be something like €770,- for a 40" Touchscreen.
I think that's very reasonable. The Iiyama 42" + touch-base driver would set me back about €1800,-.

The only question is: Will the Zaagtech Overlay also work with DTouch? Silvano, can you probably comment on this?
brucerothwell seems to be working with exactly this setup?

Btw, what do you think about that Samsung TV. Will it be good enough?

Thanks upfront,
Markus

P.S.: Zaagtech also quoted me the same Overlay with 50" at $358,- but I think this will be too big for my needs.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 04 Oct 2016 15:22

orthogonalrecords wrote:Hi all!

I just got a quote from zaagtech.
The 40" V7 X Series 6 Touch Overlay (see http://www.zaagtech.com/X-Series-Specifications.html) would be $286,- + $60,- shipping costs. According to my knowledge this means that the product would cost about €420,- (including customs and tax).

So, together with a tv set like the Samsung UE40J5150 (€350,- over here) it would be something like €770,- for a 40" Touchscreen.
I think that's very reasonable. The Iiyama 42" + touch-base driver would set me back about €1800,-.

The only question is: Will the Zaagtech Overlay also work with DTouch? Silvano, can you probably comment on this?
brucerothwell seems to be working with exactly this setup?

Btw, what do you think about that Samsung TV. Will it be good enough?

Thanks upfront,
Markus

P.S.: Zaagtech also quoted me the same Overlay with 50" at $358,- but I think this will be too big for my needs.
Hello, and sorry for my late answer.

1) I agree with Constantine (who demonstrated to be a clever and very creative guy!). In my opinion the Iiyama is a fine turnkey solution and its price it not bad at all; the price is high, but these products are not mainstream goods.

2) We have no business deal with PQ-Labs, but from some tests done in past on the Zaagtech IR overlay, I can say that I wouldn't suggest it. I could give you more detailed tech explanation, but I should find some old test results with data captured from a Zaagtech.
In other words, PQ Labs has a very good reputation and I would suggest it.

3) Zaagtech with DTouch: yes, it works. The problem is not in the protocol compatibility, but in the not good response to swipe gestures (and fader "fades"). The Zaagtech is fine for tap, but not perfect for "moves".

4) The Italian distributor for PQ Labs is http://www.touchwindow.it/. No business relation with them. Contact them. I think that they can ship to Austria.

Hope this helps.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

orthogonalrecords

Post by orthogonalrecords » 04 Oct 2016 18:39

Thanks Silvano!

I just contacted Touchwindow and will see what they say.

Thank you also for your elaborate answer on the zaagtech overlay. No need for further data. If you say that you wouldn't recommend it I'm gonna believe you that. I already suspected that it might be of poor quality when comparing the price of a PQ Labs with Zaagtech.

At the moment it seems that regarding price/quality it might be best to get two 27" Iiyama screens replacing my current two screen setup and controllers. It's just that I was trying to avoid the bezel between the two screens. Let's see. I will keep you informed.

Best regards,
Markus

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott » 07 Oct 2016 23:16

Just an fyi...I ordered my G5s 6 point 42" frame directly from china manufacturer and cost was $310 us plus $96 for shipping. I got the tv for $300cdn (live in Canada) and got the tempered glass cutt for $60cdn. The PQ LABS frame comes with it's own drivers (free...check out pq labs www) for OSX. So while it works fine/responsive it does not provide multitouch. And when dtouch for cubase on osx comes out I'll probably move over to osx all the way. We'll see...
I work in logic also and have no issues with the touchscreen in osx.

orthogonalrecords

Post by orthogonalrecords » 08 Oct 2016 07:42

Thanks Michael!

I did some brainstorming the last few days and sketched how I might rearrange my custom built desk. As I also use Cubase iC Pro on an iPad Pro I decided to go with just one 27" Iiyama touchscreen together with the iPad Pro and apple num-keyboard with cubase overlay for the transport section.

I think that will do the trick for me.

Thanks again for all your input!

Markus

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott » 08 Oct 2016 16:51

orthogonalrecords wrote:Thanks Michael!

I did some brainstorming the last few days and sketched how I might rearrange my custom built desk. As I also use Cubase iC Pro on an iPad Pro I decided to go with just one 27" Iiyama touchscreen together with the iPad Pro and apple num-keyboard with cubase overlay for the transport section.

I think that will do the trick for me.

Thanks again for all your input!

Markus
That sounds like a great setup. I use a similar setup in win 10 using android cubase ic pro for remote transport and a cubase coloured keyboard along with the 42". Lots of options at your fingertips depending on what you're doing.
I do have a second 42" pq labs frame but it's only 2 point muti touch. I was going to use that one for the project window side by side with the other one but ultimately found it wasn't going to work in my current room.

Anyways all the best and you are going to love the dtouch software once you get going!