your preferred monitor size?

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
n0nspaz

your preferred monitor size?

Post by n0nspaz » 01 Feb 2017 04:28

Considering the limited space in small-to-medium sized control rooms, speaker width might be, oh 4 feet apart. What size touchscreen (widescreen TV). I know Bruce uses a 42" but I have long arms and like a lot of controls at my fingertips. If i used (2) 27" widescreens instead (one track view and one mixer view, how I am used to working non-touchscreen) vs. one, say, 48" widescreen, I wonder if my speakers would reflect/bounce off the screens too much. How to decide on a monitor size, and whether to use 1 or 2 monitors? Any help with this great spiritual dilemma is welcome :ugeek:

DT_bettinzana

Re: your preferred monitor size?

Post by DT_bettinzana » 01 Feb 2017 15:21

n0nspaz wrote:Considering the limited space in small-to-medium sized control rooms, speaker width might be, oh 4 feet apart. What size touchscreen (widescreen TV). I know Bruce uses a 42" but I have long arms and like a lot of controls at my fingertips. If i used (2) 27" widescreens instead (one track view and one mixer view, how I am used to working non-touchscreen) vs. one, say, 48" widescreen, I wonder if my speakers would reflect/bounce off the screens too much. How to decide on a monitor size, and whether to use 1 or 2 monitors? Any help with this great spiritual dilemma is welcome :ugeek:
I want to help you with your spiritual dilemma (maybe one day you will help me with mine :D )
Can you tell me what is your DAW?
Do you already own a touchmonitor?
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

n0nspaz

Post by n0nspaz » 01 Feb 2017 21:05

haha that's a deal.
I am on Cubase for 15+ years but this will be my first touchscreen setup. I haven't found a room yet for my next studio, so I don't know the distance between the monitors. It will be 16'x25' (5m x 7.5m) or so. I am very used to working with the mouse & key commands in Cubase, and concerned about moving to Touch. I use (2) 24" widescreen monitors and I like a lot of visual info.

What size TV is good for audio editing, for nimble guitar player types like me? What size range is ideal for reliable wave editing, and drawing automation ?
- One large, say 42-48" display?
- (2) 27" screens instead of one large screen?
- Maybe a large main screen with another small touchscreen on the side (for audio driver or macro buttons or something. ?)
Lot of ways we can create a workflow here.

Please chime in with your choice of screen setup and why you choose to work that way.
thanks, cheers

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » 01 Feb 2017 23:05

Maybe a large main screen with another small touchscreen on the side (for audio driver or macro buttons or something. ?)
Lot of ways we can create a workflow here.
I think this is the best : 42' Touch for main DTouch screen (Console & Project) & another 22' or 24' or 27' for the macro/shorcut buttons and your VST plugins ! ;)
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 3x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 10 / VEP6 / D-Touch Cubase / Console 1 / iPad 3 Lemur... /

n0nspaz

Post by n0nspaz » 02 Feb 2017 00:13

Can Cubase be split across (2) 27" monitors, 1. project window and 2. mixer ?
is this even possible since Cubase is only one actual window ?

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » 02 Feb 2017 07:51

You can manage Cubase Windows as you want (I have 4 screen) but DTouch can only have 2 screen maximum (Project & Console) (for now)
In my case I have :
42' TV for Cubase Project Windows (DTouch).
27' Multitouch for Cubase Console (DTouch).
27' Multitouch for UAD Console & DTouch Macros folders.
23' Touch for VST Instrument.
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 3x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 10 / VEP6 / D-Touch Cubase / Console 1 / iPad 3 Lemur... /

n0nspaz

Post by n0nspaz » 02 Feb 2017 18:33

Thanks 87, would you mind posting a picture of your complex setup?

If Dtouch allows only 2 Cubase windows, How are you getting VSTi's on a separate screen from your project and mixer screens?

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » 02 Feb 2017 21:44

Look at the post : "Display Your DTouch Studio Setup" in "General Discussions" forum.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 03 Feb 2017 23:50

n0nspaz wrote:If Dtouch allows only 2 Cubase windows, How are you getting VSTi's on a separate screen from your project and mixer screens?
Hello!
DTouch ACTIVELY uses a maximum of 2 monitors (1 touch + 1 regular OR 2 touch). "ACTIVELY" means that DTouch can swap the Mix and Edit (project/arranger ... or anyway others call it) windows between these two ACTIVE monitors by using a swap buttons. In the primary one of these two monitors, DTouch shows its toolbar. If you have the Mixer in the primary monitor, you will have a dedicated integrated multitouch mixer with its dedicated toolbar. When you swap, you will have the Edit window with its toolbar in the primary monitor.

Anyway, you can use other n monitors/touchmonitors for other windows: Plug-Ins GUI, DTouch macro folders, Cubase MIDI editors, ... operating system windows, etc ... you can touch all these additional/optional windows.

Regarding your request about a single or multi screen layout, it is not easy to answer. I cannot live with one single screen. The minimum configuration for me is: one touchscreen + one regular screen. Somebody use only one screen, but this is not for me.

Regarding the sizes: larger is better! You know: this is a well known "concept" :lol:
BUT ... not too large! Lets think about a 55" touchscreen; it is a MONSTER! So much light in front of you. Visit a television shop and stay at 40 cm from a 55" TV. What a panic! And, try to imagine to angle it and precisely touch a point in the upper side of this screen. I think that the upper half of a 55" touchmonitor would never be touched by the user.
I would suggest a 40"-42" touchscreen.
But the very important thing is the position in front of the touchmonitor. Do you have a MIDI master keyboard? If yes, it will be a huge obstacle between you and the touchscreen. You must also have the area for a QWERTY tactile keyboard and a mouse (they are still needed). And, most important, you must have an arm rest for your arms. Hoovering your arm to touch the screen without a proper support will be a huge discomfort at the end of the day.

I am not a huge fan of two side-by-side (27") screen. A 27" screen is near 70 cm large. 2*70=140cm is a very large workspace. In that case I would angle them towards a central "focus".

What could I suggest? Try to build a very rough mockup and test the dimensions of a potential console configuration. We are all different and I could hate something which perfectly fits your habits.

If you are well positioned in front of a touchmonitor (one only), a 27" is not too small. You must be precise with the touches, but with a proper body positioning, it is not a big problem.

I suppose that now you are more confused than before. There isn't a perfect recipe.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

n0nspaz

Post by n0nspaz » 06 Feb 2017 05:07

Very helpful, all the posts. Thank you...

ideally for me, a 42" main screen with 27" touchscreens at either side, and a 24" or so non-touch--for windows explorer desktop etc.

if anyone knows of an amazing value 42" led tv in the usa, please lmk.

thanks guys this gives me a direction.
take care.
mark