Multi Touch plugins

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
~ufo~

Multi Touch plugins

Post by ~ufo~ » 01 Feb 2017 09:01

The plugins meant for Waves multitouch live mixer are starting to become available to try.
Since they support multi touch I decided to download a demo and see if it works.

As expected. No luck on DTouch for Pro Tools on Mac.

I'm wondering for DTouch on Pro Tools for Windows though. Could anyone try?
http://www.waves.com/plugins/emo-q4-equalizer

Thanks!
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

DT_bettinzana

Re: Multi Touch plugins

Post by DT_bettinzana » 01 Feb 2017 15:15

~ufo~ wrote:The plugins meant for Waves multitouch live mixer are starting to become available to try.
Since they support multi touch I decided to download a demo and see if it works.

As expected. No luck on DTouch for Pro Tools on Mac.

I'm wondering for DTouch on Pro Tools for Windows though. Could anyone try?

Thanks!
OK, we will try on Windows!
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 02 Feb 2017 10:06

DT_bettinzana wrote:
~ufo~ wrote: I'm wondering for DTouch on Pro Tools for Windows though. Could anyone try?

Thanks!
OK, we will try on Windows!
Cool, thanks!
I guess they should certainly work on any multi touch capable DAW. But I'm wondering if it will work on Pro Tools and any other DAW that doesn't advertise multi touch capability.

I would assumed multi touch capability was built into the AAX standard, since it's so recent. But you never know with Avid :)
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 02 Feb 2017 16:06

Hello!

Tested with Cubase 9 (Windows7) ... runs perfectly, in multitouch!

Tested with ProTools 12.7 (Windows7) ... doesn't respond to touch (neither single). If you touch a rotary knob, it senses a mouse-click, but no moves.

Are you a Waves user? Do you want to check with their support? We can make the tests on Windows for you.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 02 Feb 2017 20:41

DT_bettinzana wrote:Hello!

Tested with Cubase 9 (Windows7) ... runs perfectly, in multitouch!

Tested with ProTools 12.7 (Windows7) ... doesn't respond to touch (neither single). If you touch a rotary knob, it senses a mouse-click, but no moves.

Are you a Waves user? Do you want to check with their support? We can make the tests on Windows for you.
Awesome, thanks!
I was afraid it wouldn't work in Pro Tools. but I'm happy to see it does in Cubase (which doesn't state it reports multitouch, right?).

I am a waves user. I just happened to see that those plugins support multitouch, so I decided to download them and test.
When it didn't I got in touch with their support to tell them and to ask for clarification.
I'll let them know your results. they do say it's supported in windows 8 and higher.
I still doubt it would work on Pro Tools in windows 8 though...
Is there anyone on the forum who could test it on pro tools in win8 and up?

Cheers!
Yvo van Gemert

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 02 Feb 2017 21:06

~ufo~ wrote:... (which doesn't state it reports multitouch, right?).
Can you explain better your question?
~ufo~ wrote:Is there anyone on the forum who could test it on pro tools in win8 and up?
Oh, sorry! Yes, we can. Try tomorrow.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 03 Feb 2017 14:01

Hello!
We have tested on Windows10 too: same results as Windows7 for both Cubase and Pro Tools.
Mmm ...
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 03 Feb 2017 16:53

DT_bettinzana wrote:
~ufo~ wrote:... (which doesn't state it reports multitouch, right?).
Can you explain better your question?
Does Cubase doesn't officially support multitouch?

Are you surprised that the plugin responded to multitouch in Cubase on windows?
Are you surprised that it didn't in Pro Tools?
Yvo van Gemert

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 03 Feb 2017 17:58

~ufo~ wrote:Does Cubase doesn't officially support multitouch?

In my opinion (I know something about the VST Plug-In SDK, but I am not a super expert) the GUI of a Plug-In is very independent from the DAW itself. The GUI of a VST plug-in is like a completely different application. You could also have a VST Plug-In which opens a TCP/IP socket and speaks to the internet browsing a Google web page. Do you understand me? It could do everything ... and the VST host (Cubase, etc ...) knows nothing!

So, if a VST plug-in makes a smart use of the multitouch Windows API, it can be multitouch. This is not a surprise for me.

I know nothing about AAX, but (I suppose) that the GUI concepts should be very similar to the VST case. I have no idea regarding the not working single/multi_touch of that plug-in in its AAX version.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 03 Feb 2017 20:51

DT_bettinzana wrote:
~ufo~ wrote:Does Cubase doesn't officially support multitouch?

In my opinion (I know something about the VST Plug-In SDK, but I am not a super expert) the GUI of a Plug-In is very independent from the DAW itself. The GUI of a VST plug-in is like a completely different application. You could also have a VST Plug-In which opens a TCP/IP socket and speaks to the internet browsing a Google web page. Do you understand me? It could do everything ... and the VST host (Cubase, etc ...) knows nothing!

So, if a VST plug-in makes a smart use of the multitouch Windows API, it can be multitouch. This is not a surprise for me.

I know nothing about AAX, but (I suppose) that the GUI concepts should be very similar to the VST case. I have no idea regarding the not working single/multi_touch of that plug-in in its AAX version.
Ok thanks. I would be a gross oversight from Avid if AAX is not multi touch compatible.
I'll send Waves your result and see what they say.
It's cool that it works in windows !
Yvo van Gemert