switching from PT to Cubase

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
Constantine

Re: switching from PT to Cubase

Post by Constantine » 27 Mar 2017 20:58

~ufo~ wrote:
How do I set this up (cleanly and elegantly) in Cubase?
OK. This can't be done with normal routing or sends.

What you really want is a feature called 'Direct Routing'. By default Cubase don't show this on racks, but is there. You need to activate it from the racks button. It is on top in Cubase mixer.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Constantine on 28 Mar 2017 08:41, edited 1 time in total.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 27 Mar 2017 23:49

Constantine wrote:
27 Mar 2017 20:58
~ufo~ wrote:
How do I set this up (cleanly and elegantly) in Cubase?
OK. This can't be done with normal routing or sends.

What you really want is a feature called 'Direct Routing'. By default Cubase don't show this on racks, but is there. You need to activate it from the racks button. It is on top in Cubase mixer.

Hope this helps ;-)
I am trying to find a solution, but I doubt that you can do what ~ufo~ want with the direct routing. But, I hope that I am making a mistake.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

Constantine

Post by Constantine » 28 Mar 2017 09:45

I admit it's a little tricky.
Last edited by Constantine on 28 Mar 2017 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 28 Mar 2017 16:01

Thanks guys.

direct routing seems to be just multiple outs, without a send level pre/post etc.
That's nice as an extra, but doesn't seem to solve my problem.

The fact that Cubase creates a unique sidechain bus PER plugin.... is that a VST limitation, or is it just the way the Cubase team chose to implement it?
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 28 Mar 2017 18:25

I have watched the video suggested by Constantine. Nothing helpful for that specific issue in my opinion.

~ufo~: I don't know the VST3 SDK, because I had some experiences with version older than "3". Anyway, in my mind, that behaviour is not a restriction of the VST standard. It is a routing implementation of Cubase.

Honestly, the Steinberg guys are often very convoluted in their mind (I am speaking about MIDI routing, for example ...).
Don't expect a change in future. For example, they have a very very limitating bug (Expression Maps lost after enable/disable of a MIDI/Instrument track) from a lot of versions and it is still there. 100% of the MIDI composers are affected by this bug and nobody at Steinberg take care of it!

If I would have time, I think that I could build a VST3 wrapper and route the sidechain signal anywhere (just as a programming exercise).
I don't know the famous "virtual" VST hosts (like Blue Cat PatchWork ...), so I cannot say if they "expose" the sidechain somewhere, but I think that it should be possible.
I am not suggesting those "wrappers" as a solution. Usually, I like simple and clean things (I like the mathematics purism). If it is not possible, I would rather prefer alternative (simpler) workflow. At the end there isn't a "correct" mix; it sound as the engineer has decided (like it or not, it is his decision). Every song is different from any other.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 28 Mar 2017 18:39

Silvano!

Interesting idea, that wrapper. I'll look into that! There may be something out there that can help.
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 28 Mar 2017 18:51

~ufo~ wrote:
28 Mar 2017 18:39
Silvano!

Interesting idea, that wrapper. I'll look into that! There may be something out there that can help.
OK, I repeat: I don't know it. It is just a matter of "feeling". Check it if you have time.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 28 Mar 2017 19:19

I know, no guarantees but it is a clue, and I didn't think of it. So thanks for thinking with me!
Yvo van Gemert

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 30 Mar 2017 08:33

I made a little flow chart to help visualise my routing.
Mind you, this is just a small part of my routing system, but it shows my problem.
It might not make sense to you WHY I would do it like this, but trust me that everything is by design.
It is possible that I could achieve my desired effects in a more simple way, but I doubt it.

(Hey, my attachment doesn't seem to actually attach to the post...)
TVO signal flow example.jpg
Yvo van Gemert

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 31 Mar 2017 10:25

I'd like to be able to use the MIDI editor in full screen, but that means part of it is blocked by the DTouch window.

Is there a button or macro to do this?

follow up question: the macro library doesn't show up in the macro editor.
It looks all grey, empty and weird.
Yvo van Gemert