All waves plugins now work in multitouch in Cubase and Studio One on Windows

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
~ufo~

All waves plugins now work in multitouch in Cubase and Studio One on Windows

Post by ~ufo~ » 28 Mar 2017 21:06

Hey Guys, I just discovered this. Even the old ones like renEQ.
Pretty cool!

Interestingly enough, they don't seem to work in touch on Pro Tools on windows AT ALL. Not even single touch.
(I haven't installed DTouch for Pro Tools on my windows machine yet, maybe that will help)

N.B. The Native Instruments plugins have had a touchscreen mode for a while now, in case you guys missed it.
It's not multitouch, but it just makes them track a bit better. They don't track your finger perfectly, but it's very useable.
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

Constantine

Re: All waves plugins now work in multitouch in Cubase and Studio One on Windows

Post by Constantine » 28 Mar 2017 21:26

They don't track your finger perfectly...
You can use an universal active stylus. It is very accurate.
Last edited by Constantine on 28 Mar 2017 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

~ufo~

Re: All waves plugins now work in multitouch in Cubase and Studio One on Windows

Post by ~ufo~ » 28 Mar 2017 21:33

I've no problem with the NI ones using (single) touch, they've been working well for me.
I just mentioned they don't track your fingers perfectly, when it's a slider. You notice it but it's not a problem.

It's just cool that Waves' ones are now multitouch. Probably because of their LV1 system.
Nice one!
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 28 Mar 2017 23:37

~ufo~ wrote:
28 Mar 2017 21:06
Interestingly enough, they don't seem to work in touch on Pro Tools on windows AT ALL. Not even single touch.
(I haven't installed DTouch for Pro Tools on my windows machine yet, maybe that will help)
No, DTouch will not help. It is managed directly by Windows.

I want to say one thing:

due to the support of gestures (at least we think that this is the cause), usually you will see a sort of start hysteresis when you tweak a Plug-In control. The same is true with the Cubase native faders (not the DTouch faders).

Let me explain to help you checking this:

you touch one knob and you will start moving your finger vertically; at that point, you will see the control not moving for a bit and then making a little jump. It is like Windows is waiting for a further movement before deciding if this is a move or another gesture.

DTouch faders and controls (present and future) aren't affected by this because we don't support the gestures in the DTouch windows. So, if you touch and move a fader of DTouch, it will start moving immediately.

It is honest from me to say this, because it could be annoying if you plan to automate a plug-in parameter.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 28 Mar 2017 23:39

Constantine wrote:
28 Mar 2017 21:26
OK! Tell us more about this "active stylus". I am interested, in particular for fine "drawings" in the MIDI editors.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 29 Mar 2017 08:57

DT_bettinzana wrote:
28 Mar 2017 23:37

That's weird and interesting. Did the waves plugins work with single touch on DTouch for PT on Windows before?
The Avid plugins work, the Waves ones don't that's strange, right?

due to the support of gestures (at least we think that this is the cause), usually you will see a sort of start hysteresis when you tweak a Plug-In control. The same is true with the Cubase native faders (not the DTouch faders).

you touch one knob and you will start moving your finger vertically; at that point, you will see the control not moving for a bit and then making a little jump. It is like Windows is waiting for a further movement before deciding if this is a move or another gesture.

DTouch faders and controls (present and future) aren't affected by this because we don't support the gestures in the DTouch windows. So, if you touch and move a fader of DTouch, it will start moving immediately.

It is honest from me to say this, because it could be annoying if you plan to automate a plug-in parameter.
Thanks, now I understand why there's no gesture support in DTouch yet.
It immediately leads me to ask the questions:
Is gesture support in DTouch possible outside of the faders' 'hot zones'?
Would it be possible everywhere or maybe on a designated (floating) area like the NavPad?

Anyway, it's cool that Waves' plugins are now multi touch friendly on S1 and Cubase right?
Yvo van Gemert

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 29 Mar 2017 14:33

~ufo~ wrote:
29 Mar 2017 08:57
DT_bettinzana wrote:
28 Mar 2017 23:37

That's weird and interesting. Did the waves plugins work with single touch on DTouch for PT on Windows before?
The Avid plugins work, the Waves ones don't that's strange, right?
It is not so strange.
The GUI of a Plug-In is a simple window managed by an application which receive the touch messages from the operating system. In the case of a Plug-In, the application is the Plug-In itself, not the DAW; even less DTouch.
So, if a Waves GUI doesn't properly react to the touch, the culprit is Waves.
IMPORTANT: if a Waves Plug-In works fine in its VST version, nothing can be told for the AAX version. From what we can know, a VST and an AAX Waves Plug-In could come from two completely different development teams, so ... two different worlds!

And you (~ufo~) come from Pro Tools on OS X; keep in mind that DTouch on Windows uses a lot of "automatic" touch functions from the operating system (MS Windows). DTouch on OS X implements a lot of these functions because they aren't available from OS X. For example, a single touch outside the DTouch windows is translated into a mouse emulation click. So, the response of a Plug-In GUI could be different between Windows and OS X.

~ufo~ wrote:
29 Mar 2017 08:57

Thanks, now I understand why there's no gesture support in DTouch yet.
It immediately leads me to ask the questions:
Is gesture support in DTouch possible outside of the faders' 'hot zones'?
Would it be possible everywhere or maybe on a designated (floating) area like the NavPad?
I don't remember if the gestures support is at application or window level.
In general we would avoid the gestures at application level (for the previous reasons) ... but ... I am speaking about gestures "automatically" managed by the operating system. There are no impediments to "manually" manage some interesting gestures by DTouch itself without using the handy operating system functions. It is only a matter of adding thousands of lines of code :cry:

Sorry for this long and tedious tech digression, but it is due to understand why something works and something not.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

Constantine

Post by Constantine » 29 Mar 2017 14:35

DT_bettinzana wrote:
OK! Tell us more about this "active stylus". I am interested, in particular for fine "drawings" in the MIDI editors.
I'll send you an email, and better to make a review in future about this stylus and workflow.
~ufo~ wrote:
Anyway, it's cool that Waves' plugins are now multi touch friendly on S1 and Cubase right?
Indeed. This is a really big step from a big company. Little by little we are going in the right direction.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 29 Mar 2017 14:49

Constantine wrote:
29 Mar 2017 14:35
DT_bettinzana wrote:
I'll send you an email, and better to make a review in future about this stylus and workflow.
OK, I will appreciate it :D
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

clonewar

Post by clonewar » 01 Apr 2017 18:43

DT_bettinzana wrote:
28 Mar 2017 23:39
Constantine wrote:
28 Mar 2017 21:26
Silvano, you should try out a Wacom Cintiq tablet.. They have the best pen/stylus input and configurable buttons for shortcuts, modifier keys, etc, really great for drawing and editing midi.
Michael Nazari

DTouch for Cubase Walkthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-26Ca9Pyb4Y