Motorised Faders and Transport for DTouch (Thin!)

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
cpia2002

Motorised Faders and Transport for DTouch (Thin!)

Post by cpia2002 » 19 Apr 2017 11:38

Hey all.

I currently use the SSL Nucleus as a controller for DTouch and my 27 inch touch screen monitor with Cubase ; The Faders are great , and so is the transport, but since using DTouch and Ipad for many tasks, alot of the SSL Nucleus is redundant - in that it uses the MCU protocol so editing VSTS etc on it is possible, but you get pages and pages of random variables mapped to the pots on most plugins .

Thus as much as i love my SSL Nucleus, i want to sell it and get something much more compact - the SSL is pretty big in terms of depth, and because i have the touch screen right behind it, it is a pain to reach so far to use DTouch . Thus i am looking for suggestions for a replacement for it when i do sell it which gives me motorized faders and transport controls - However, because of my set up , i really need it to be much less deep (wide than the nucleus) otherwise it is such an effort to use the touch screen .

I have tried placing the screen side by side with the SSL Nucleus, but it just doesnt feel right workflow wise, and is awkward. So basically, any suggestions for a THIN (Small depth) Motorised fader pack (8/9 instead of 16 would be fine) with a transport section - hopefully a Jog wheel.

Cheers :)

PJ

~ufo~

Re: Motorised Faders and Transport for DTouch (Thin!)

Post by ~ufo~ » 19 Apr 2017 17:32

Artist Control & Artist mix.

Icon Platfrom M
Icon iControls Pro
Steinberg CMC series?

There's not much to choose from that pair well with a touch screen.
Personally I'd prefer a touch screen in that form factor to be dedicated to the macros/toolbar, faders and maybe pop up virtual keyboard.

I wouldn't pay more than the price of a 27" touch screen for it though, so that's not going to happen.

I might buy a second touch screen at some point and just only use half of it.
It will be at the perfect angle for fading ets, while the other one will hover above it at the perfect angle for plugin control and editing.

Actually, I have a friend in the neighbourhood with the same touch screen as I do, I can test if this works well...

Sorry, just thinking out loud here :D
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

clonewar

Post by clonewar » 20 Apr 2017 17:49

I believe that the Icon Platform M is the thinnest (least deep) eight motorized fader control surface available at this time. It's an MCU based surface so it should work with DTouch. The Avid Artist Mix is about 1.8" deeper, and the Artist series MCU support is hit or miss so unless someone's already tested one with DTouch it might not be compatible.

I've done a lot of testing with integrating hardware control surfaces and for me there really isn't a good way to have an eight fader unit sitting in front of the touchscreen while keeping the screen within comfortable reach. I think you need to move the control surface off to the side and use the faders as needed.. or, just go with a one fader Faderport, which works perfectly with DTouch and can be positioned comfortably with your touchscreen. I've found that the touchscreen faders work great for most fader tasks, setting level on multiple faders, etc.. but in my case I prefer to do long automation rides on a hardware fader, and I usually only ride one fader at a time, so the Faderport fits the workflow nicely.
Michael Nazari

DTouch for Cubase Walkthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-26Ca9Pyb4Y

rcprod

Post by rcprod » 17 Nov 2017 01:01

clonewar wrote:
20 Apr 2017 17:49
I believe that the Icon Platform M is the thinnest (least deep) eight motorized fader control surface available at this time. It's an MCU based surface so it should work with DTouch. The Avid Artist Mix is about 1.8" deeper, and the Artist series MCU support is hit or miss so unless someone's already tested one with DTouch it might not be compatible.

I've done a lot of testing with integrating hardware control surfaces and for me there really isn't a good way to have an eight fader unit sitting in front of the touchscreen while keeping the screen within comfortable reach. I think you need to move the control surface off to the side and use the faders as needed.. or, just go with a one fader Faderport, which works perfectly with DTouch and can be positioned comfortably with your touchscreen. I've found that the touchscreen faders work great for most fader tasks, setting level on multiple faders, etc.. but in my case I prefer to do long automation rides on a hardware fader, and I usually only ride one fader at a time, so the Faderport fits the workflow nicely.
When using the Faderport with DTouch (Cubase), would I be able to simply touch a knob on a plugin and then turn the knob on the faderport and have the touched plugin knob move accordingly? I think this workflow would be helpful to me. Thanks.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott » 20 Nov 2017 14:34

Yes or you could use the the actual fader on the faderport so that anything you touch would be controlled by the fader.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 20 Nov 2017 16:37

rcprod wrote:
17 Nov 2017 01:01
When using the Faderport with DTouch (Cubase), would I be able to simply touch a knob on a plugin and then turn the knob on the faderport and have the touched plugin knob move accordingly? I think this workflow would be helpful to me. Thanks.
You can touch a knob on a Plug-In GUI and then use the Faderport knob to tweak the parameter, but:

1) It is not like the Steinberg AI knob; if you move the mouse cursor away, it will stop working and will cause an unexpected bahaviours (you are actually rotating the mouse wheel around on your screen, read below ...)

2) Rotating the knob on the Faderport emulates the mouse-wheel, nothing more than that! Not all the Plug-Ins react well to the mouse wheel and usually it is not very fine. I would suggest the DFader Control Mode, which emulates the click and mouse cursor move with the fader of the Faderport. In my opinion, even if it could seem a ridiculous control mode, it works very well. This "DFader feature" is integrated in the current DTouch version and you could have a sneak-peek in the DTouch User Guide or check the video in the DFader product page of our web-site.

Feel free to ask here for more infos!
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

Psycholarge

Post by Psycholarge » 21 Nov 2017 21:40

cpia2002 wrote:
19 Apr 2017 11:38
Hey all.

I currently use the SSL Nucleus as a controller for DTouch and my 27 inch touch screen monitor with Cubase ; The Faders are great , and so is the transport, but since using DTouch and Ipad for many tasks, alot of the SSL Nucleus is redundant - in that it uses the MCU protocol so editing VSTS etc on it is possible, but you get pages and pages of random variables mapped to the pots on most plugins .

Thus as much as i love my SSL Nucleus, i want to sell it and get something much more compact - the SSL is pretty big in terms of depth, and because i have the touch screen right behind it, it is a pain to reach so far to use DTouch . Thus i am looking for suggestions for a replacement for it when i do sell it which gives me motorized faders and transport controls - However, because of my set up , i really need it to be much less deep (wide than the nucleus) otherwise it is such an effort to use the touch screen .

I have tried placing the screen side by side with the SSL Nucleus, but it just doesnt feel right workflow wise, and is awkward. So basically, any suggestions for a THIN (Small depth) Motorised fader pack (8/9 instead of 16 would be fine) with a transport section - hopefully a Jog wheel.

Cheers :)

PJ
Follow this link this should be slim enough
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PlatformM