42 or 46 inch screen with PQ labs for Dtouch

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
cpia2002

42 or 46 inch screen with PQ labs for Dtouch

Post by cpia2002 » 19 Apr 2017 18:08

As I mentioned on anther thread I am selling my nucleus controller as it's acting as an expensive jog wheel these days and faders : it occurred to me that I could get a bigger monitor and PQ labs G4s overlay.

I have 27 Ilyama ATM and while it is a green monitor , some of the smaller buttons can be tricky to use via touch screen. Thus I am thinking about replacing the ssl nucleus with a 42 or max 46 inch screen with the PQ labs overlay for even better interaction with D touch . However, have a few questions that I hope some one here can help with ;

1) is it responsive as the dedicated touch screen I already have ? Will it have the same functions in windows 10 and d touch providing it is the correct overlay ?

2) Can it be any monitor / tv at 42/46 inch so long a size it is 1080 p . I notice on the d touch video Michael uses a Samsung I think . Is their any screens that are recommended with the PQ labs overlay ?

3) has anyone gone from a 27 monitor to a much bigger screen and did it improve the use of D Touch ?

4) I am based in U.K. And the PQ labs are now on the G5 series I see. Is it still important to get the g4s still ? Also I notice that the uk company that sells the overlays has different G4S overlays - basic , dual touch and more . What's the difference and which one is recommended ?

Hope someone can chime in and help before I make my decision

Cheers

Paul

brucerothwell

Re: 42 or 46 inch screen with PQ labs for Dtouch

Post by brucerothwell » 19 Apr 2017 18:28

While I have a 42" Zaagtech (instead of a PQ Labs) IR touchframe, I believe my depth of research will allow me to provide some useful input.

1) is it responsive as the dedicated touch screen I already have ? Will it have the same functions in windows 10 and d touch providing it is the correct overlay ?

I believe so.

2) Can it be any monitor / tv at 42/46 inch so long a size it is 1080 p . I notice on the d touch video Michael uses a Samsung I think . Is their any screens that are recommended with the PQ labs overlay ?

Virtually any good LED/LCD touchscreen should work. You'll possibly see issues with reliability and longevity if you don't stay with a major brand such as LG, Samsung, etc. (I personally went for the Best Buy house brand of Insignia, which I learned was made by LG, and was able to add a 5-year IN-HOME service/warranty program, because it was "42-inch or larger".)

3) has anyone gone from a 27 monitor to a much bigger screen and did it improve the use of D Touch ?

I can safely tout the advantages of a larger screen -- it allows for more room for your fingers... the pointing device that cannot be resized like a mouse cursor can!

4) I am based in U.K. And the PQ labs are now on the G5 series I see. Is it still important to get the g4s still ? Also I notice that the uk company that sells the overlays has different G4S overlays - basic , dual touch and more . What's the difference and which one is recommended ?

I would suggest going for the newer G5S series, but the G4S should work, too!

-
Bruce

clonewar

Post by clonewar » 19 Apr 2017 20:18

I have both 46" PQ Labs and 27" Acer touchscreens, IMO there are pluses and minuses to both..
cpia2002 wrote:
19 Apr 2017 18:08
Yes, it will have the same functions in Windows 10 as your 27" screen. The touch response of the PQ Labs overlays is excellent, but there are some differences.. The 27" screen is capacitance, which means that it won't register a touch unless you actually touch it with your finger. The PQ Labs based screen will be an IR (infrared) overlay, which means that a touch is registered when anything breaks the IR plane of the overlay. This can be a benefit because you can use a pen stylus or other pointing device to draw on the screen if you want, but it can also lead to unwanted touches being triggered at times (I've had touches triggered by a shirt sleeve and even a fly landing on the screen!).

On the other hand, I've found that the Acer screen can react differently to my finger depending on how moist or dry my skin is. For example, if there's some moisture on my skin and I'm trying to drag something from one side of the screen to the other there might be a squeaking noise between my finger and the glass and it'll lose contact and drop whatever I was dragging right at that point. Very frustrating! This never happens on the PQ Labs screen because it doesn't matter how good the contact between your skin and the glass is, only the position of your finger(s) matter.

One other consideration is the raised bezel of the PQ Labs screen vs the smooth edges of the Acer screen. This makes it more difficult to register touches at the very edges of the PQ Labs screen. You generally won't be touching things at the very edges of the screen, but it's something to consider.
cpia2002 wrote:
Most TV screens should work for the PQ Labs overlay. The most important thing is that there's a wide and flat border around the actual screen to be able to mount the overlay (which is mounted with double sided tape). Be careful of newer 'edgeless' screens that don't have much of a border, or screens where the border is not flat. I went with a basic Samsung TV because it had a nice wide border and they generally make decent quality TV's.
cpia2002 wrote:
Honestly there's a tradeoff between the smaller and larger screens. I find it more comfortable from an ergonomic standpoint to work on the 27" screen for long periods of time. It's very easy to lean over and rest my elbows on the desktop and reach the entire screen from that position without lifting my arms, just like using my large hardware control surface. It's also nice that the angle of the Acer screen can be immediately adjusted at any time, so I can go leaning over the desk to sitting back in my chair easily.

With the 46" screen there's more reaching involved, and you might have to try a few positions to find one that you're comfortable working for long periods of time in. My favorite position is to have my elbows resting on my chair arms and work my hands back and forth over the screen. The upside to the larger screen of course is that everything on screen is much larger and easier to touch. On the 27" screen it can be a pain to control some plugins, you have to aim and sometimes it takes several tries to hit something. There's very little of that on the larger screen, even with smaller plugin controls. Overall I'd say it's a more immersive experience on the larger screen, like you're a little bit closer to the DAW and plugins (if that makes sense).
cpia2002 wrote:

Hope someone can chime in and help before I make my decision

Cheers

Paul
I have a G5S, it was pretty new when I put my screen together. I'd go with the G5S or the new G6S if I were getting a new one now. I like the 'S' version because it's a slimmer bezel. I'd recommend at least six touch points (which might be the minimum for the larger overlays).

A couple of other thoughts.. If I were doing it again I'd go with a 40" screen. The objects on the screen won't be that much smaller than a 46" screen, but it'll be five inches less reach side to side, and three inches top to bottom, which could make a difference. Also, 40" is a very popular TV size which should be around for a while, so if you want to upgrade to a 4K screen in the future you'll be able to get a cheap 40" 4K TV and put your same PQ Labs overlay on it. 46" is pretty much a dead size for TV's, with no options for 4K. If I want a 4K touchscreen in the future I'll have to go with a new overlay.

Also, if you do go with a larger touchscreen I highly recommend putting it on a touchscreen cart. I have mine on this one: http://www.cotytech.com/37-56-touch-scr ... adjustable

That'll let you try the screen out at different heights and angles to find the perfect one for you.. And easily change it up if you want to.

Hope that helps!

Michael
Michael Nazari

DTouch for Cubase Walkthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-26Ca9Pyb4Y

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 19 Apr 2017 23:41

Thank you, Bruce and Michael! You made a lot of good points here.
clonewar wrote:
19 Apr 2017 20:18
I'd recommend at least six touch points (which might be the minimum for the larger overlays).
I am not completely sure, but I fear that the more touch points, the slower the response => I would recommend the 6 touch points.
clonewar wrote:
If I were doing it again I'd go with a 40" screen.
I totally agree with you. I think that 40" is the perfect size.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

clonewar

Post by clonewar » 20 Apr 2017 00:02

DT_bettinzana wrote:
19 Apr 2017 23:41
clonewar wrote:
You know, when I was preparing to get my 46" inch screen I recall that you recommended going with a 40" one.. I should have listened to you! :D
Michael Nazari

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 20 Apr 2017 00:20

clonewar wrote:
20 Apr 2017 00:02
DT_bettinzana wrote:
19 Apr 2017 23:41
clonewar wrote:
You know, when I was preparing to get my 46" inch screen I recall that you recommended going with a 40" one.. I should have listened to you! :D
My wife is a doctor and every day she say: not too much beef :evil: not too much sugar :evil: not too much salt :evil: ...
WTF, can I make my mistakes in this short life? ;)
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

cpia2002

Post by cpia2002 » 20 Apr 2017 10:19

Thanks guys that is great info .

After doing more research i think i would go for a bigger iilyama one than the 27 one i have - i know they work well and the new models are basically the same but bigger!

I think i might be better getting a BIGGER iilyama one - 42 - they dont do 40 - or maybe even 32 - as they have come down in price over the last 2 years .

Thanks for those updates :) As i said in another forum i am going to be selling my SSL Nucleus and probably getting a 42 inch illyama touch screen - there is alot of choices. I know that model is not directly supported but i see no reason why it would not work ? Just a bigger one than the one supported.

Though there is 3 different models . Am i better off with the Infra Red or Capacitive screen? From what i can deduce capactive is the way to go for use with Dtouch and Daw, though both will work fine. Is this correct ?

This is the screen i am looking at -

https://iiyama.com/gb_en/products/proli ... 7msc-b3ag/

Do You think it should work just fine with DtOUCH - i know you cant say 100% but it ticks all the boxes :)

Or i am considering the 32 inch illyama as a second choice - but not sure an extra 5 inches will make a big difference, but then again it will fit better !

clonewar

Post by clonewar » 20 Apr 2017 17:53

DT_bettinzana wrote:
20 Apr 2017 00:20
My wife is a doctor and every day she say: not too much beef :evil: not too much sugar :evil: not too much salt :evil: ...
WTF, can I make my mistakes in this short life? ;)
Oh my! I'm hypoglycemic and have to watch my sugar, but beef and salt?? As I'm typing this I'm finishing off my beef jerky snack LOL! :mrgreen:
Michael Nazari

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 21 Apr 2017 00:16

cpia2002 wrote:
20 Apr 2017 10:19
I know that model is not directly supported but i see no reason why it would not work ? Just a bigger one than the one supported.
Lets say that it is not "tested", but it will work. We cannot test everything!
On Windows we have not big problems: if a touchscreen is HID-compatible (in other words: Windows-compatible) and have a native resolution of 1920*1080, it will work with DTouch.
cpia2002 wrote:
20 Apr 2017 10:19
Though there is 3 different models . Am i better off with the Infra Red or Capacitive screen? From what i can deduce capactive is the way to go for use with Dtouch and Daw, though both will work fine. Is this correct ?
Without directly testing them, it is not easy to tell you something.
I am confident that both will work fine.
I personally like the capacitive technology, but I have nothing against the IR, unless they use a low quality IR-touchframe.
I tend to think that the IR technology was developed for very large screen (kiosks, interactive digital signage) where the most common "gesture" is a tap, not a drag&drop. Anyway, you should have noticed that "clonewar" likes its PQ-Labs IR touchframe. BUT, keep in mind that PQ-Labs is a top IR-touchoverlay manufacturer. Who can say what iiyama uses and what is the level of their IR technology?

Just out of curiosity: what would be the price in your country of the two 42" touchmonitors?

Paul (cpia2002): we suspect that you don't see our E-Mails because you write to us, we answer to you, but we never have a reply. Can you check if you have received our E-Mails during these 2-3 days? You should carefully check that our E-Mails aren't blocked by some spam-filters. It is very common :cry:
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

cpia2002

Post by cpia2002 » 21 Apr 2017 12:04

Ah thanks .

The 32 inch is around 1100 Pounds, and the 42 inch is around the 1700 pounds mark. I could go cheaper with a tv and overlay, but worry it will not be as resonpsive as i am used to .

I think my ideal size would be 36 - 40 inches though. I wonder how much it would cost for a 36 monitor and a pq labs latest overlay, and if it will be as responsive as my illyama CPAC which i am used to .

You are right, some of the messages were not getting through. Hopefully i have changed that setting now :)

I am about to start re writing all my macros / key commands from the Nucleus over to D Touch - lol one day i will get to make music !

Out of interest does any one have their own Cubase Macro library for D Touch that they are either willing to share / sell ? Starting from scratch is always a pain .

Thanks again to all of you for your help .

P.s. out of interest any big name / famous composers now using D Touch ? Sorry if some of you are already well known , i am quite new to the community ? Even if so you probably cant say unless they want to be known :)