Mac HiDPI Mode on a 4K Touchscreen ?

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
clonewar

Mac HiDPI Mode on a 4K Touchscreen ?

Post by clonewar » 28 Apr 2017 15:14

I have an older Dell 30" monitor (2560x1600, non-touch) and I've been playing with HiDPI mode on my Mac, which scales the resolution to have a lower usable resolution but uses more pixels per inch so the image is super sharp (like a Retina display).

I've been thinking that this would be great on a 40" 4K touchscreen, reduced to 1920x1080 in HiDPI mode.. So every inch on the screen would have four times the number of pixels compared to a 1080p HD screen, but the objects on the screen would be the same size. Easily touchable, with a super sharp image.

Would DTouch for PT on the Mac work in HiDPI mode if the effective display resolution is 1920x1080 ?
Michael Nazari

DTouch for Cubase Walkthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-26Ca9Pyb4Y

DT_bettinzana

Re: Mac HiDPI Mode on a 4K Touchscreen ?

Post by DT_bettinzana » 28 Apr 2017 16:05

clonewar wrote:
28 Apr 2017 15:14
I have an older Dell 30" monitor (2560x1600, non-touch) and I've been playing with HiDPI mode on my Mac, which scales the resolution to have a lower usable resolution but uses more pixels per inch so the image is super sharp (like a Retina display).

I've been thinking that this would be great on a 40" 4K touchscreen, reduced to 1920x1080 in HiDPI mode.. So every inch on the screen would have four times the number of pixels compared to a 1080p HD screen, but the objects on the screen would be the same size. Easily touchable, with a super sharp image.

Would DTouch for PT on the Mac work in HiDPI mode if the effective display resolution is 1920x1080 ?
Probably it can work, but I am not sure (I don't use a Mac). Contact support@deviltechnologies.com.
Can you test Pro Tools? Do you have a full license or a trial for it?
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

clonewar

Post by clonewar » 29 Apr 2017 00:05

DT_bettinzana wrote:
28 Apr 2017 16:05
clonewar wrote:

Probably it can work, but I am not sure (I don't use a Mac). Contact support@deviltechnologies.com.
I don't have a PT license now, but I might subscribe for one month to test it out again. But more importantly, I don't have a 40" 4K touchscreen yet, I'd have to figure out a way to test it out before actually committing to buying one. Maybe I'll just start with testing out PT and DTouch on my 46" screen first.. (and I could run a full DTouch mixed mode touchscreen test with my 27" at the same time)
Michael Nazari

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 29 Apr 2017 10:23

clonewar wrote:
29 Apr 2017 00:05
But more importantly, I don't have a 40" 4K touchscreen yet, I'd have to figure out a way to test it out before actually committing to buying one.
We cannot be o great help with this because we cannot replicate this setup. We will help you, but you understand that we cannot build a test system so different from our regular system requirements.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

clonewar

Post by clonewar » 29 Apr 2017 16:43

DT_bettinzana wrote:
29 Apr 2017 10:23
clonewar wrote:
But more importantly, I don't have a 40" 4K touchscreen yet, I'd have to figure out a way to test it out before actually committing to buying one.
We cannot be o great help with this because we cannot replicate this setup. We will help you, but you understand that we cannot build a test system so different from our regular system requirements.
I understand that Silvano, I was just curious if anyone had tried HiDPI mode with DTouch yet. If anything I'll start with testing PT again with a one month subscription to see if I can adjust to the workflow, and then decide down the line on the 4K screen.
Michael Nazari

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 29 Apr 2017 17:00

clonewar wrote:
29 Apr 2017 16:43
DT_bettinzana wrote:
clonewar wrote:
I understand that Silvano, I was just curious if anyone had tried HiDPI mode with DTouch yet. If anything I'll start with testing PT again with a one month subscription to see if I can adjust to the workflow, and then decide down the line on the 4K screen.
OK, I will check with our guys because I remember something about the MacBook retina, but for sure nothing on a ultra-high-resolution touchscreen. That said I will not be able to give you a secure info about using an high resolution touchmonitor (otherwise you would find it in our DTouch system requirements).

And, just to extend this, if I will give you such an info, it will be related to DTouch for Pro Tools. NOTHING can be said about Cubase on the Mac. I tell this because you are one who asked for the DTouch for Cubase on the Mac. So, be careful about your purchases.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

clonewar

Post by clonewar » 29 Apr 2017 20:32

DT_bettinzana wrote:
29 Apr 2017 17:00
clonewar wrote:
29 Apr 2017 16:43
DT_bettinzana wrote:

OK, I will check with our guys because I remember something about the MacBook retina, but for sure nothing on a ultra-high-resolution touchscreen. That said I will not be able to give you a secure info about using an high resolution touchmonitor (otherwise you would find it in our DTouch system requirements).

And, just to extend this, if I will give you such an info, it will be related to DTouch for Pro Tools. NOTHING can be said about Cubase on the Mac. I tell this because you are one who asked for the DTouch for Cubase on the Mac. So, be careful about your purchases.
I'll keep asking for DTouch for Cubase/Nuendo on the Mac.. 8-) Really if you had some kind of timetable for the Mac version I might not be considering testing PT, DTouch for Cubase is so much more powerful and flexible. But I've been going in-between my Mac and Windows systems for a while and I'm finishing my new room and need to settle on my permanent setup.
Michael Nazari

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 29 Apr 2017 23:41

clonewar wrote:
29 Apr 2017 20:32
I'll keep asking for DTouch for Cubase/Nuendo on the Mac.. 8-) Really if you had some kind of timetable for the Mac version I might not be considering testing PT, DTouch for Cubase is so much more powerful and flexible. But I've been going in-between my Mac and Windows systems for a while and I'm finishing my new room and need to settle on my permanent setup.
Hello. We have no timetable for the Cubase version of DTouch. DTouch for Cubase is becoming huge and its porting to OS X will be long.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

Support Team

Post by Support Team » 02 May 2017 13:35

clonewar wrote:
DT_bettinzana wrote:
28 Apr 2017 16:05
clonewar wrote:

I don't have a PT license now, but I might subscribe for one month to test it out again. But more importantly, I don't have a 40" 4K touchscreen yet, I'd have to figure out a way to test it out before actually committing to buying one. Maybe I'll just start with testing out PT and DTouch on my 46" screen first.. (and I could run a full DTouch mixed mode touchscreen test with my 27" at the same time)

Let's start with known facts first.
We tested DTouch for Pro Tools successfully on our user's Macbook Pro Retina. Thanks to this test, we made DTouch work with Retina MacBooks too. The MacBook Retina itself is NOT a touchscreen.

Then, we can think about your current setup.
You have a 2560x1600 DELL monitor, which you can try and use in a HiDPI mode using a DTouch for Pro Tools Trial License (simply request it on our website or request a Trial Extension to support@deviltechnologies.com ).
You would still need to buy a 1-month Pro Tools License for this test, or request a Pro Tools Trial.

Please note that DTouch is designed primarily to work with standard DPI settings, and tuned mainly for the 1920x1080 resolution. In particular, DTouch does not include high-resolution images for the HiDPI mode, and as such, you won't have the "super sharp images" you are talking about from DTouch.

Should DTouch work correctly for that setup, you'll again need a way to test it with a 4k TV before buying it for the only purpose of using it with DTouch. We cannot refund DTouch or your TV if they cannot work together.

The next step (adding a touchscreen overlay to the 4k TV) shouldn't have any problem, but you'll need to test that, again. We have Trial Licenses specifically for that purpose: try before buy.