This seems like a good aspect ratio for a touch screen

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
~ufo~

Re: This seems like a good aspect ratio for a touch screen

Post by ~ufo~ » 07 Nov 2018 08:38

This company makes a lot of sizes of ultrawide screens and says it offers them as touch screens too. It might be interesting both for a smaller one to replace only the keyboard and navigation (15"), or as a larger one (24") to line up horizontally with a 27" regular touch screen, for example.

http://crystal-display.com/products/stretched-displays/

I've asked them for prices on 15" and 24" models.
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 07 Nov 2018 10:47

They got back to me.
Pricy stuff sadly.

These are the prices of them without the 10 point PCAP upgrade.

13.9" : €880
24.9" : €1.369

This brings me back to the idea that, for now it may be better to buy a second 16:9 touch screen and figure out a way to only use the bottom half of it, so you can block the top half with your main 16:9 edit screen.
I would love to know if there's a way to do that. To trick the computer or GPU into thinking it's an ultrawide and just use the bottom half of the screen.
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 07 Nov 2018 18:01

~ufo~ wrote:
07 Nov 2018 10:47
They got back to me.
Pricy stuff sadly.

These are the prices of them without the 10 point PCAP upgrade.

13.9" : €880
24.9" : €1.369
You cannot compare mainstream displays with niche ones. This is a very common error today. Industrial (or low quantity) and consumer markets are very very different.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 07 Nov 2018 18:35

Oh I understand it will be more expensive, but of course I'll just ask them anyway.

So how about using a 16:9 display and only using the bottom half of it?

Is it possible?

I mean really that the computer uses it as a 1920 x 540 display. So that the menu bar is halfway across the screen.
I ask that, because otherwise it would be annoying to use, since I'll have my edit screen hover in front of it on a VESA arm.
I don't want to have to move that to the side for some things like using the menu bar, checking for prompts etc.

I'd like to have a 1920x540 touch screen as a good faderbank/macro launcher/keyboard/navigator at a shallow angle and have the regular 1080p touch screen at a 40-45º angle.
If no-one builds a affordable 32:9 touchscreen, then I think this is the best option in the meantime.
If there could be some sort of driver to make the OS see it as 1920x540 (only the bottom half) that would be quite perfect!

I'm not in a rush on this, but it would be cool to see if it's possible.
Yvo van Gemert

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 08 Nov 2018 09:37

It might be possible with this app: http://www.madrau.com/srx_download/download.html

I'm going to try it soon!

I wonder if the touchscreen part will still work as intended :D
Yvo van Gemert

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 08 Nov 2018 15:25

~ufo~ wrote:
07 Nov 2018 18:35
Oh I understand it will be more expensive, but of course I'll just ask them anyway.

So how about using a 16:9 display and only using the bottom half of it?

Is it possible?

I mean really that the computer uses it as a 1920 x 540 display. So that the menu bar is halfway across the screen.
I ask that, because otherwise it would be annoying to use, since I'll have my edit screen hover in front of it on a VESA arm.
I don't want to have to move that to the side for some things like using the menu bar, checking for prompts etc.

I'd like to have a 1920x540 touch screen as a good faderbank/macro launcher/keyboard/navigator at a shallow angle and have the regular 1080p touch screen at a 40-45º angle.
If no-one builds a affordable 32:9 touchscreen, then I think this is the best option in the meantime.
If there could be some sort of driver to make the OS see it as 1920x540 (only the bottom half) that would be quite perfect!

I'm not in a rush on this, but it would be cool to see if it's possible.
OK, the idea could be interesting.
Now I see a problem: DTouch for Pro Tools use the graphic overlay trick on the PT mixer window. In a 1920x540 display, we would have not much vertical pixels for the PT mixer; do you follow me? Some ideas?
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 08 Nov 2018 15:30

~ufo~ wrote:
08 Nov 2018 09:37
It might be possible with this app: http://www.madrau.com/srx_download/download.html

I'm going to try it soon!
Cool!
Keep us informed about your test.
~ufo~ wrote:
08 Nov 2018 09:37
I wonder if the touchscreen part will still work as intended :D
Probably we could do something; DTouch have the coordinates of the touch points and it can manage them (ignore the upper side ... rescale ...) in a proper way (at least in theory and with a custom touchscreen-setup wizard).
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 08 Nov 2018 16:00

DT_bettinzana wrote:
08 Nov 2018 15:25
Now I see a problem: DTouch for Pro Tools use the graphic overlay trick on the PT mixer window. In a 1920x540 display, we would have not much vertical pixels for the PT mixer; do you follow me? Some ideas?
Yeah I've considered that too.

I guess you could do an external mixer in stead of an overlay, like you've done with Cubase, but IIRC that would have sever limitations due to the HUI standard. Banking is limited to groups of 8 via HUI, for example, correct?
If that's the stand alone external touch mixer is not possible, I guess you could have a custom external mixer on the bottom screen WHILE the PT mixer is visible on the top screen. That way you could have an overlay on that, visual or not, that is remote controlled by the remote mixer on the bottom screen, to give you the benefits of the overlay approach. I'll probably never edit and mix at the same time, it's just about having the mixer and the edit window on dedicated touch surfaces which are angled at an optimum angle for each task.

Another option is: it doesn't have to be be exactly half of the pixels, vertically.
I just think that a normal 16:9 27" as a flat mixer and then a 16:9 screen behind it at 45º for editing will be too far away.
So practically, we need to bring that screen closer to us, to make it ergonomic.
So maybe using not half, but 2/3 of the vertical pixels of the 'mixer' screen is enough to make it ergonomic.
If you look at the Waves LV1 setup with 2x24" screen, it already seems quite ergonomic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uBTaEZ ... gs=pl%2Cwn
So maybe it's just a matter of a little. Or maybe a 24" touch screen for the mixer is enough and better than 27".
Or maybe just a 27" with a custom resolution, but maybe not take away 50% of the vertical pixels.
That's a lot of maybe's.

We'll see if I can get that custom resolution to work first :D
Yvo van Gemert

Havoc911

Post by Havoc911 » 08 Nov 2018 16:30

I'm thinking about doing two 27" touchscreens mounted on Ergotron arms so they can be moved. If I'm in an edit mode, the upper monitor could be pulled closer, partially obstructing the mix monitor and vice versa.

I guess the thing that remains to be seen is 1) how easily/quickly the monitors can be moved and 2) how much wear these arms can take before they fail and break your monitor.

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 08 Nov 2018 18:15

mine is on an ergotron arm, I don't think it wil ever fall off.
Yvo van Gemert