Latency on Floating Channelstrip while writing automation?

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
ostx1176

Latency on Floating Channelstrip while writing automation?

Post by ostx1176 » 15 Jun 2017 11:46

In PT12, I regularly write automation during playback with the Floating Channelstrip in the Edit window.
However, I've noticed that my automation lines don't completely line up with where I want them to be in the waveform. They're a little late. Is this is latency issue caused by a Buffer setting or something else? Thanks.
Pro Tools 2018 | Iiyama T27 & 27" Apple iMac

DT_bettinzana

Re: Latency on Floating Channelstrip while writing automation?

Post by DT_bettinzana » 15 Jun 2017 14:02

ostx1176 wrote:
15 Jun 2017 11:46
In PT12, I regularly write automation during playback with the Floating Channelstrip in the Edit window.
However, I've noticed that my automation lines don't completely line up with where I want them to be in the waveform. They're a little late. Is this is latency issue caused by a Buffer setting or something else? Thanks.
Hello,
there isn't a buffer between the messages coming from the touchscreen (the sensor) and the HUI messages sent to PT.
Anyway, the touchscreen has its inherent latency.
But, can you quantify this "latency"? 1, 10, 100, 1000 ms?

There is a very interesting test which will give you (and all the HW and other-manufacturer-touchscreen users) an objective idea of the performances of the PT automation engine and the various controllers. If someone want to invest/waste time playing with these things, I will explain the experiment setup.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

DT_bettinzana

Re: Latency on Floating Channelstrip while writing automation?

Post by DT_bettinzana » 23 Jun 2017 22:30

DT_bettinzana wrote:
15 Jun 2017 14:02
There is a very interesting test which will give you (and all the HW and other-manufacturer-touchscreen users) an objective idea of the performances of the PT automation engine and the various controllers. If someone want to invest/waste time playing with these things, I will explain the experiment setup.
No volunteers? You only need a microphone (low quality too!) connected to your DAW and a bit of time and knowledge of your Audio_Interface/DAW buffer latency.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies