Dtouch for Cubase with Native Instruments Kontrol S88

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
Dean M

Dtouch for Cubase with Native Instruments Kontrol S88

Post by Dean M » 20 Jul 2017 20:45

Hi,

I like the look of Dtouch a lot. Can I ask a naïve question - would Dtouch work happily alongside the Kontrol S88 within Cubase, or would the two conflict?

Many thanks,

Dean

~ufo~

Re: Dtouch for Cubase with Native Instruments Kontrol S88

Post by ~ufo~ » 21 Jul 2017 09:05

I'd think so. I'd hope so as I'm interested in that controller too.
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

Dean M

Post by Dean M » 21 Jul 2017 12:41

Thank you ~ufo~

I've emailed support to check, and will post their response.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 22 Jul 2017 15:29

Dean M wrote:
20 Jul 2017 20:45
Hi,

I like the look of Dtouch a lot. Can I ask a naïve question - would Dtouch work happily alongside the Kontrol S88 within Cubase, or would the two conflict?

Many thanks,

Dean
Hello,
if Kontrol S88 is a "Remote Control Surface" in Cubendo, using some protocols like HUI, Mackie-Control, ... it can cause a conflict.
But, if you run the new DTouch for Cubendo 1.3 in "lite" mode, this will not be a problem.

If you have contacted our support guys, you will have more detailed infos.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 22 Jul 2017 16:09

~ufo~ wrote:
21 Jul 2017 09:05
For Cubase?
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 22 Jul 2017 16:38

DT_bettinzana wrote:
22 Jul 2017 16:09
~ufo~ wrote:
For Cubase?
For any DAW. It seems like a nice master keyboard with some added benefits for VI control.
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 22 Jul 2017 16:51

~ufo~ wrote:
22 Jul 2017 16:38
DT_bettinzana wrote:
22 Jul 2017 16:09
~ufo~ wrote:
For Cubase?
For any DAW. It seems like a nice master keyboard with some added benefits for VI control.
OK, but DTouch for Pro Tools is not DTouch for Cubendo. The protocols are completely different. So, my previous answer is valid for DTouch for Cubendo.
In the case of DTouch for Pro Tools, if the NI Kontrol needs a HUI port in Pro Tools, this is not possible because the PT HUI ports are already used by DTouch.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 22 Jul 2017 17:30

Ok. Does it need that for VI control or for Some DAW control?
I don't care for DAW control on the Kontrol 88.
For me it would be nice if I can use it to control VIs and plugins with the rotaries, but it's not important enough for me to have bought one yet.

I don't really need rotaries for most plugins, but for synths and such it may be handy...

It's not a controller I'm actively planning to buy, but it's the only one that's been on my radar so far.
But currently I'm using my nord electro 76 as a master keyboard and that works fine for now.
Np rush on my part.
Yvo van Gemert

Dean M

Post by Dean M » 23 Jul 2017 14:32

Hi Silvano,

Support got back to me very promptly, thank you. Their response was along the lines of your reply.

They suggested that I run a demo of Dtouch alongside the NI Kontrol, which I will as soon as the keyboard arrives!

Many thanks,

Dean

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 23 Jul 2017 15:02

~ufo~ wrote:
22 Jul 2017 17:30
Ok. Does it need that for VI control or for Some DAW control?
I don't care for DAW control on the Kontrol 88.
For me it would be nice if I can use it to control VIs and plugins with the rotaries, but it's not important enough for me to have bought one yet.

I don't really need rotaries for most plugins, but for synths and such it may be handy...

It's not a controller I'm actively planning to buy, but it's the only one that's been on my radar so far.
But currently I'm using my nord electro 76 as a master keyboard and that works fine for now.
Np rush on my part.
Hello ~ufo~, I understand what you mean.
Since we cannot test it, I don't know if the Kontrol 88 NEEDS to use a DAW control protocol (like HUI). For sure it is not needed to control a NKS-enabled plug-in, but it is possible that they want to use a DAW control protocol just to select a track (or for any other reason).
So, the DAW control protocol could be both optional or mandatory, but who can say it at the moment!! I think that we could check it by reading the Kontrol documentation.

There is another problem for the Cubase users: in past we have seen a problem with a Nektar Panorama keyboard; in that case the Nektar installation SW automatically installs EVERTHING, including the Cubase remote control DLL. If you want to install the Panorama in your system to be used with Cubase, you MUST install everything because it is in one single package. The advantage with Pro Tools is that (due to the lack of a Steinberg-like more evoluted protocol), Native Instrument should clearly explain the installation of the HUI (or Mackie Control) peripheral in Pro Tools in their docs. That said, if they add no detailed requirements, we cannot say if the HUI is mandatory or not.

Is my explanation clear?
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies