DTouch support for Steinberg Cubase 9.5 (new DTouch Standard Mode...)

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
~ufo~

Re: DTouch support for Steinberg Cubase 9.5 (new DTouch Standard Mode...)

Post by ~ufo~ » 01 Mar 2018 19:06

n0nspaz wrote:
01 Mar 2018 15:45
My main concern was setting up the giant touchscreen in front of me, only to still need the mouse more than say 35% of the time. That’s what I meant by the (vague) ‘rock-solid solution’.

One thing that I am curious about is zooming and scrolling in both edit & mix views. Navigation and viewing clips at different zooom levels are things that I do constantly, and I assume that the hot buttons at the bottom make this faster and easier than traditional methods? Perhaps everyone has different solutions to this.
How giant will this touchscreen be?
I've got a standard 27" and it's fine with me. I have no desire for a larger one and it doesn't get in the way of monitor sound or anything.
I have my computer keyboard, trackpad and track ball in front of it.
Everything's accessible, if anything everything's MORE accessible than when I had my ProControl.

For navigation I use a combination of touch, keyboard shortcuts and sometimes even the mouse, but less so.
DTouch added a really handy feature for scrolling, which locks the scrolling direction, per touch, tothe direction in which you first moved.
This works when you touch the center of the NavPad and then drag left, right, up or down. From that center, you can drag in any direction.
But in that normal 360º scrolling mode, I find that (just like with my Magic Trackpad) I almost always mistakenly move up or down a few tracks, when I only wanted to scroll through the timeline, or vice versa.
Now that I can use the NavPad to drag around the content, with this handy new feature, I'm using the trackpad and mouse less and less to scroll.
When it comes to zooming I mainly use the F5 lasso zoom kind of behaviour, the r, t and e keys. I don't find the need to use the DTouch zoom functions.

The banking in the mixer is fine in Pro Tools. It takes a little getting used to but it doesn't bother me. It does what it's supposed to do.
I don't need to bank that much anyway, I have big sessions but I usually have less than 22 tracks/channels visible.
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

n0nspaz

Post by n0nspaz » 06 Mar 2018 14:29

I’ve got a 10-yr old 42” Samsung TV (yes, it has a wide curved bezel, might be an issue) and a PQ G5 still in the box. I think it will be a good size. I do music production and audio post mixing. Do you think this will work ok?

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 06 Mar 2018 14:35

n0nspaz wrote:
06 Mar 2018 14:29
I’ve got a 10-yr old 42” Samsung TV (yes, it has a wide curved bezel, might be an issue) and a PQ G5 still in the box. I think it will be a good size. I do music production and audio post mixing. Do you think this will work ok?
Yes, why not?
But you must check the mechanic issue: position the PQ-Labs on the TV (without gluing it) and you will see.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott » 06 Mar 2018 16:07

Did you get a 1/8" tempered glass with your frame? If not you will have get one cut to fit inside the frame. I have a 42" also. :D ok that didn't sound right.
The new standard mode will allow you to move up to a 4k tv as with the legacy you are limited to 1080 although that worked fine for me during the legacy days.

n0nspaz

Post by n0nspaz » 07 Mar 2018 01:03

Yes the glass is sitting here, also in the box. :roll: I will break it out and check the fit.

Studio framing is done, acoustics room tuning now, paint, insulation, fabric....then DTouch here I come.

Thanks, glad this is such a responsive little community of professionals.
mark

s_sibs

Post by s_sibs » 27 Mar 2018 14:12

I think for me, being able to set up the Standard Mode to function exactly like the Legacy mode is what is throwing me and my workflow off.

Can I make the Standard Mode exactly like the Legacy mode? I want the Cubase Visibility on the left side of the screen for hiding and showing channels. I want the big Meter on the right side because...it's the master meter. I want the 'e' channel always viable. I want to be able to get to my effect racks easily like the hide/show racks does now in Legacy mode.

I can't even figure out how to have the floating mixer not hide under the Cubase Mixconsole1 AND have plugins open on top so I can see them at the same time. It seems to be either have the floating mixer on top OR have the plugins on top.

Yes, I'm a big fan of Legacy mode. It integrated easily into my workflow. I can't get that with Standard Mode. Or, maybe there can be some window setup presets that someone can come up with will make it easier. I don't know. I've been trying for days to get something that works for me. I'm frustrated.

Tumppi

Post by Tumppi » 27 Mar 2018 15:00

I think you can get pretty close with this new combined DT and Nuendo workspace dunction...

The effect racks are missing, but you see channels insert etc in the nuendos channel editos.
gear:
Nuendo, latest
Pro Tools 12.5
Win10 64bit
Acer 27" touch screen
RME FF800

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » 27 Mar 2018 16:50

DTouch.jpg
DTouch.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 9572 times
Double 27' Touch... DTouch Mix & Macros with Cubase Channel Strip & Plugins (First Cubase & DTouch Workspace). 8-)
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 3x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 10 / VEP6 / D-Touch Cubase / Console 1 / iPad 3 Lemur... /

kjd01

Post by kjd01 » 11 Jul 2018 13:31

I am hoping that someone can help explain something to me.
Since the big change I have gotten very frustrated with Dtouch. I just can't get it setup right. I see all these great pictures by people on here that show macro folders and floating mixers all laid out nicely.
Every time I try to do this I get it looking exactly how I want it and then when I try to use it every falls apart. Macro folders get pushed behind Cubase windows and then get stuck. I have to Alt Tab to Dtouch to get them to appear again.
I tried to setup something similar to the picture just above this post but with the Matrix option open on the Floating Mixer if you touch the Floating Mixer it jumps in front of the Macro Folder. If you disable the Matrix option then you get this big window toolbar in the middle of the screen. If I disable the Top Most function on the floating mixer then the Cubase window jumps in front of the floating mixer.
How are you keeping the Macro folders to stay on top all the time and never get hidden by Cubase or the Floating Mixer. I assuming I am either missing something obvious or the setups everyone is showing in this forum don't really work and are a wish list.
Love some tips from anyone that has a great setup that works. I really loved this software when it worked properly with Cubase and I want to love it again but right now I am using my mouse and keyboard more and are starting to think of moving to a hardware solution as the touch screen solution is not working for me the way it is.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 11 Jul 2018 14:59

kjd01 wrote:
11 Jul 2018 13:31
I am hoping that someone can help explain something to me.
Since the big change I have gotten very frustrated with Dtouch. I just can't get it setup right. I see all these great pictures by people on here that show macro folders and floating mixers all laid out nicely.
Every time I try to do this I get it looking exactly how I want it and then when I try to use it every falls apart. Macro folders get pushed behind Cubase windows and then get stuck. I have to Alt Tab to Dtouch to get them to appear again.
I tried to setup something similar to the picture just above this post but with the Matrix option open on the Floating Mixer if you touch the Floating Mixer it jumps in front of the Macro Folder. If you disable the Matrix option then you get this big window toolbar in the middle of the screen. If I disable the Top Most function on the floating mixer then the Cubase window jumps in front of the floating mixer.
How are you keeping the Macro folders to stay on top all the time and never get hidden by Cubase or the Floating Mixer. I assuming I am either missing something obvious or the setups everyone is showing in this forum don't really work and are a wish list.
Love some tips from anyone that has a great setup that works. I really loved this software when it worked properly with Cubase and I want to love it again but right now I am using my mouse and keyboard more and are starting to think of moving to a hardware solution as the touch screen solution is not working for me the way it is.
Hello Kevin,
I think that some other users will help you here. Anyway, if you want, contact us and we can arrange a Teamviewer session during the next week. There are many options and tricks for different workflows. A Teamviewer session with our guys could be of great help for you.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies