DTouch support for Steinberg Cubase 9.5 (new DTouch Standard Mode...)

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
Support Team

DTouch support for Steinberg Cubase 9.5 (new DTouch Standard Mode...)

Post by Support Team » 27 Nov 2017 14:35

Facts about Cubase 9.5
Starting from Cubase 9.5, Steinberg has made some changes in how Cubase renders its window on the screen.
You can notice some little differences in how text is drawn on the Cubase windows, and some other minor differences like the Cubase meters, and on.
Those little visible differences are unfortunately driven by a huge change in the Cubase underlying software code.

These huge changes prevent DTouch from gaining many information about Cubase, including:
  • Information for properly aligning the DTouch Mix window with the Cubase MixConsole
  • Information about the Tracks that are currently visible onscreen on the Cubase MixConsole
  • Track Colors
  • Currently active sections in the Channel Editor, and their size (Inserts/Strip on the left, Sends/Cue Sends on the right)
As a consequence, while using Cubase 9.5, DTouch won't be able to:
  • Display its Mix window, including the Integrated Mixer
  • Display the Channel Editor Manager
  • Capture and show Track Colors on the DTouch Matrix window and the DTouch Floating Mixer
  • Select multiple Tracks at once

These limitations render the DTouch FULL Mode nearly useless and so, we regrettably have to disable the DTouch FULL Mode when Cubase 9.5 is started.
The DTouch LITE Mode is not affected at all, and continues to work with Cubase 9.5 and all other supported Cubase versions.
The DTouch FULL Mode continues to work with previous Cubase versions, up until Cubase 9 (included).

The Future
It's highly likely that these limitations will persist even with the next Cubase versions; and we can reasonably think that these will appear in one of the next Nuendo versions too.
This led us to change the DTouch "RUN Modes" names:
LITE Mode becomes Standard Mode
FULL Mode becomes Legacy Mode
Legacy Mode won't have new features added. It will keep compatibility with older Cubase versions.
Standard Mode will be the new active development area of DTouch.

We designed DTouch Standard Mode for the purpose of removing the requirements/limitations of the Legacy Mode.
Here you can find a comparison between the two "RUN Modes":
stdmode-legacymode-comarison-table.png
stdmode-legacymode-comarison-table.png (47.23 KiB) Viewed 10944 times
As you can see, the Standard Mode removes a little number of features in exchange of a greater level of freedom, in order to meet requests from many of our users and meet new technologies like High-DPI screens, where Scaling Factor would be needed.
Some of the removed Features, like the Mix and Project Toolbars, can simply be replaced by User Folders.
The features that you are actually losing when switching from Legacy Mode to Standard Mode are only: Track Colors, Multi-Track Selection, and the Integrated Mixer.

We welcome your help in order to make the Standard Mode as user-centric and comfortable than ever.

This discussion thread is dedicated to the DTouch for Cubase and DTouch for Nuendo new Standard Mode.
Here you can talk about the new Standard Mode, and suggest improvements or even new features to be added to it.

DT_bettinzana

Re: DTouch support for Steinberg Cubase 9.5 (new DTouch Standard Mode...)

Post by DT_bettinzana » 27 Nov 2017 14:55

Hello guys!

As you can imagine, we are sorry for this news about Cubase 9.5.
Just imagine that the work for the implementation of the integrated mixer was 90% of the time/resources costs of DTouch for Cubase. We have worked on it since the very first prototype of DTouch for Cubase.

Don't think that we are stopping the development of the integrated mixer to reduce our efforts! I think that we have demonstrated many times in past that we are proud of our products and, in some cases, we spend time to implement features requested by one user only. Our focus is the improvement of our tools. In this case, this was a "bad joke" by the Steinberg developers (oh, no, they neither know the DTouch code, so they cannot be considered responsible for this).

For our luck, we already had a working floating mixer which can be a valid alternative to the "deceased" integrated mixer. It is not the same, but I like its lightning fast scrolling and else. I was also an advocate of a not-aligned DTouch windows layout due to its freedom.

That said, all what we can do now is improve the floating mixer and potentially develop other windows/tools of DTouch. We are here to collect and evaluate your ideas. I will re-read the private thread about the floating mixer and I will check if there is something which isn't implemented yet. From now on, we can continue the floating mixer discussion here, in this open and public thread.

Thank you for your support.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » 28 Nov 2017 08:37

Hello the first thing for me is the "toolbar" of the standart version : it will be better to have the possibility to have Horizontal or vertical toolbar but not this "rectangular" toolbar very hard to find a place on the screen for this... ;)
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 3x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 10 / VEP6 / D-Touch Cubase / Console 1 / iPad 3 Lemur... /

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 28 Nov 2017 11:05

Home Studio 87 wrote:
28 Nov 2017 08:37
Hello the first thing for me is the "toolbar" of the standart version : it will be better to have the possibility to have Horizontal or vertical toolbar but not this "rectangular" toolbar very hard to find a place on the screen for this... ;)
OK, you are not the first to ask for this, so it will have the highest priority.

Thank you
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » 28 Nov 2017 11:47

and better have both option Horizontal AND vertical we can choose in the DTouch setup...

and incorporate the macros button on the top of the mixer windows with different tab (with the possibilities of rename it) on the left (the grey bar on the left of the matrix view)....
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 3x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 10 / VEP6 / D-Touch Cubase / Console 1 / iPad 3 Lemur... /

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 28 Nov 2017 14:09

Home Studio 87 wrote:
28 Nov 2017 11:47
and better have both option Horizontal AND vertical we can choose in the DTouch setup...

and incorporate the macros button on the top of the mixer windows with different tab (with the possibilities of rename it) on the left (the grey bar on the left of the matrix view)....
OK, we will do!
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

Tumppi

Post by Tumppi » 28 Nov 2017 17:44

Oh boy. I loved the integrated mixer :(

My impression about the toolbar in the (new) standard version is that it is too big and wrong shape as posted previously.It has also too many things that I don't need. So is it possible to hide it with out loosing macro folders and get it up again only when needed?
And the tool bar should also be very customable. Only the key features should be locked...

Floating mixer:
The biggest minus (for me) in the floating mixer is that it gives you no access to inserts, sends etc.
And I'd love to have more track filtering options so that every kind of track Nuendo offers could be filtered there.

that's my 2 cents for now...

Oh boy indeed...
gear:
Nuendo, latest
Pro Tools 12.5
Win10 64bit
Acer 27" touch screen
RME FF800

Jeera

Post by Jeera » 28 Nov 2017 18:41

DT_bettinzana wrote:
28 Nov 2017 11:05
Home Studio 87 wrote:
28 Nov 2017 08:37
OK, you are not the first to ask for this, so it will have the highest priority.

Thank you
Great to hear! I tried the standard mode on Cubase 9.5 and was instantly annoyed that I had no good place to put the toolbar and ended up closing DTouch altogether. Personally I'd prefer the ability to have DTouch along the bottom of the project window like how it was in legacy mode. Maybe a few options for horizontal/vertical placement or free resizing?

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » 28 Nov 2017 22:19

3.16.... what the news ? :oops:

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » 28 Nov 2017 23:19

Oups Pleaaaaase make DTouch been able to "speak" to a generic Remote inside Cubase, with this we can have access to more fonctions than shortcuts like open insert plugins even if Steinberg "forgot" :( the access for the 9 to 16 insert slot..... :shock: :? etc...
8-)