Why is touch accurate in mid screen but off towards the edges?

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
danahar

Why is touch accurate in mid screen but off towards the edges?

Post by danahar » 18 Jan 2018 23:11

I got DT standard mode running nicely with Cubase 9 on an Acer 27"
Model: T272HL BMJJZ on Win7. Can someone please explain why touch point is accurate in the middle of the screen but gets really far off when moving towards the edges? This is both with the win7 display 100% enlarged and 125% enlarged.
Will it be different OK on Win 10?
When do I need to calibrate monitor and with what software?

Manual is awesome Devil tech!

BTW: Works great with the ultra compact Nanokontrol without seeming to need DFader. It's short throws are compensated for by the long DT throws and I can move it in incriments of 1. Will try adding a second and maybe a third Nanokontrol.

Thanks in advance.

Support Team

Re: Why is touch accurate in mid screen but off towards the edges?

Post by Support Team » 19 Jan 2018 10:48

Hi danahar,

Are you sure that you aren't running into "parallax error"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax

In other words: try and move your head exactly over the point at the edge where you are touching the screen. Does the accuracy increase? If so, you just experienced parallax error. It's caused by the distance from the touch glass and the pixels on the bottom.

For integrated touchscreens like the Acer T272HL, we never felt the need to calibrate.
They come out of the factory perfectly aligned and calibrated.
If the accuracy is really poor, you could have a defective unit.

Can you record a video, upload it somewhere and post the link here, so that we can see the problem too?

danahar

Post by danahar » 19 Jan 2018 16:53

Don't think it's Parallax. When my head is over my finger on the edge of screen, in the black border, the touch point is still over an inch towards the center of the screen from my finger. When I read all the reviews of this 27" monitor, I only remember one person complaining of this so I thought it was insignificant. This is my first touchscreen so I don't know what to think but it is really bad.

I can report success with the Nanokontrol! Now I have 2 functioning great with DT and Cubase !!! I set them so each (on/off) press of the R button arms the track and remains on. I just ordered 2 more. I will mount them to black shelves on each side of me just below my keyboards so I can still stand close to the monitor and minimize arm extensions). Nanos are only 3.25" deep. As I already installed the Korg driver, the second nano installed automatically. Then added the device in Cubase. However, the first nano now does not go to faders 1-8 (firmware?) but the point for me is NOT to have to switch banks anyway. Now I have 16 faders for my 16 favorite instruments culled from hundreds of thousands over 17 patient years when they started to sound good.

I guess I can use 2 USB hubs when I add more?

Thank you.

danahar

Post by danahar » 20 Jan 2018 10:57

Contacted the seller: B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio who, like you, responded quickly and said to do Win7 calibration. Works like a touch screen now. What a relief!

Thanks DT

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 20 Jan 2018 11:28

danahar wrote:
20 Jan 2018 10:57
Contacted the seller: B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio who, like you, responded quickly and said to do Win7 calibration. Works like a touch screen now. What a relief!

Thanks DT
BTW: what video cable are you using? HDMI, DVI, VGA?
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

danahar

Post by danahar » 21 Jan 2018 12:06

HDMI.
Correction: I THINK I am using Trial CB 9.5 (9.0.20) not 9. Confusing numbering scheme to me but they advertise it as 9.5. Furthermore, the new 9.0.30 update will not find installer pkg after trial install.

Also confused, but read most of DT manual, by standard mode because I thought DT Legacy was not supposed to work, but just found that it does. Now I hope I can find a lot of the DT macros mentioned in the manual (which did not say they were Legacy specific) I did not find. Maybe it's me. Starting to go through manual again.

Thanks.

danahar

Post by danahar » 21 Jan 2018 12:11

Just found your clarifying post on Nov 27: DTouch support for Steinberg Cubase 9.5. Will go through it.

Thanks again!