Automatic Cubendo Expression Maps management

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
DT_bettinzana

Automatic Cubendo Expression Maps management

Post by DT_bettinzana » 01 Feb 2018 16:22

Hello!
Great news, al least for me :D
In the very last DTouch for Cubase and Nuendo versions (beta) we have included an interesting function for those interested in using the Cubendo Expression Maps.
This feature is very very beta, so be careful and report bugs and suggestions here.

1) You must install loopMIDI (https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html) on your PC.

2) Create a port named "DTouch Global MIDI Out" in loopMIDI. IMPORTANT: use exacly this name!!! (see the attached image)

3) Tick "In All MIDI Inputs" for this port in Cubendo.

4) Now you have a DTouch Standard Function Button named "EXPRESSION MAP WIN". Include this in your preferred toolbar/macro_folder. This open/close the DTouch Expression Maps window. When this window is open, it will be populated with the "articulations" in the expression map associated with the (first) selected track. I say "first" because you could have selected more than one track. The buttons should be colored too, according to the colors in the Cubendo expression map.
If you tap the button, it will fire the correct MIDI message to the "DTouch Global MIDI Out" MIDI port directed to Cubendo and the correct "slot" of the Expression Map should be selected. IMPORTANT: no feedback from Cubendo to DTouch ... unfortunately :(

5) Check the DTouch settings windows for an option regarding the Expression Map Window. I am too lazy to explain it now.

IMPORTANT: the expression maps are updated in DTouch at the "save" of a Cubendo project ... exactly like the track colors.
The global properties of the Cubendo Expression Maps engine related to the "controller" (Keyswitches/Program_Change, root_key, etc ...) are updated in DTouch only as the START of Cubendo. But ... you know ... these are very global settings and you change them only 2 times in your life.

MORE IMPORTANT: this feature was designed according to my personal Cubase expression maps use and workflow. For this reason it is very probable that this will not work with your Expression Maps or you will desire a different workflow. Keep me informed!! This is an important tool for my compositing workflow and I think that it is important for other composers too.

At the end I think that this is more seamless than the other various implementations on the market (Lemur, etc ...)

loopMIDI.png
loopMIDI.png (11.79 KiB) Viewed 8500 times
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

pablo1980

Re: Automatic Cubendo Expression Maps management

Post by pablo1980 » 01 Feb 2018 18:04

Excelent new function!!!!
I have been testing it and found a couple of details:

1. Do the expression maps reading function only work with instrument tracks? (I use expression maps with midi tracks routed to VEP, so my instrument tracks stay hidden in the project)
2. Something is wrong with my DTouch Global MIDI Out, I have created it in loopmidi, and is active in Cubase but when I press a exp map button in Dtouch: "Dtouch Gloal MIDI Out" not Found! Please Create it
then the expression map folder crashes until I reopen Dtouch

Some things to point Out:
The folder and buttons could be smaller (I assume that the title bar is more important here, but I would ask for the option to get rid of the other folder titles).

The Most important thing for my workflow:
Can we have the option to assign macros to the buttons instead of midi out? So, Button1 can launch the same macro always (for me it would be a mouse action to select the right articulation in the midi editor drop down menu)
This could be the most useful use of dtouch yet for me, I work a lot with that list and midi editing, and could save a lot of time for a lot of composers who use it.

Besides this small details (this is a beta of course), I think this is a very nice addition, this things should be more known in the usual forums!!!!
Keep it up!

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 01 Feb 2018 18:27

pablo1980 wrote:
01 Feb 2018 18:04
1. Do the expression maps reading function only work with instrument tracks? (I use expression maps with midi tracks routed to VEP, so my instrument tracks stay hidden in the project)
In my opinion they should work for the MIDI tracks too. Send us (by E-Mail) a Cubase project (without the media) to be tested by our guys.
pablo1980 wrote:
2. Something is wrong with my DTouch Global MIDI Out, I have created it in loopmidi, and is active in Cubase but when I press a exp map button in Dtouch: "Dtouch Gloal MIDI Out" not Found! Please Create it
then the expression map folder crashes until I reopen Dtouch
I think that DTouch doesn't find the MIDI port.
Is loopMIDI the first application that you have started?

I also have another doubt, but I must check. Tell me if you have started loopMIDI as the first an keep me informed.
pablo1980 wrote:
The folder and buttons could be smaller (I assume that the title bar is more important here, but I would ask for the option to get rid of the other folder titles).
Remember this to me in future because I have a short memory.
pablo1980 wrote:
Can we have the option to assign macros to the buttons instead of midi out? So, Button1 can launch the same macro always (for me it would be a mouse action to select the right articulation in the midi editor drop down menu)
This could be the most useful use of dtouch yet for me, I work a lot with that list and midi editing, and could save a lot of time for a lot of composers who use it.
I don't understand: isn't this already possible with a DTouch macro? Or haven't I understood it?
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

pablo1980

Post by pablo1980 » 01 Feb 2018 18:39

DT_bettinzana wrote:
01 Feb 2018 18:27
In my opinion they should work for the MIDI tracks too. Send us (by E-Mail) a Cubase project (without the media) to be tested by our guys.
Will do ASAP

DT_bettinzana wrote:
Starts with windows, I am using lemur to have cc faders

DT_bettinzana wrote:
pablo1980 wrote:
I don't understand: isn't this already possible with a DTouch macro? Or haven't I understood it?
It is possible with a normal button and a DTouch macro, but the buttons won´t update their names when changing channel, so, I would like to be able to "modify" the new expression maps buttons to have them trigger a macro instead of a Midi message

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 01 Feb 2018 19:22

pablo1980 wrote:
01 Feb 2018 18:39
DT_bettinzana wrote:
Starts with windows, I am using lemur to have cc faders
Perfect ... so now I must take into account my other doubt!
Can you make inactive or invisible the MIDI-Out port with that name in Cubase. Let me explain: I fear that some application (like Cubase or others) is taking the property of that MIDI-Out port and stealing it to DTouch.
Just for your info: loopMIDI creates a "wire" (an IN and an OUT port).
pablo1980 wrote:
01 Feb 2018 18:39
DT_bettinzana wrote:
pablo1980 wrote:
It is possible with a normal button and a DTouch macro, but the buttons won´t update their names when changing channel, so, I would like to be able to "modify" the new expression maps buttons to have them trigger a macro instead of a Midi message
OK, but how can DTouch mouse-click at the correct coordinate. How can we retrive this info from the expression map file?
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

pablo1980

Post by pablo1980 » 01 Feb 2018 21:26

I am asking this for editing in the key editor, not recording the expression map changes.

It doesn´t need to read the coordinates, I have already made the macros which work with the drop down menu in the key editor, I have asigned them to regular buttons in dtouch, but they don´t change the button text when changing tracks, like the new ones.

I just need to be able to replace the Midi Out Messages for a Dtouch macro when I press one of the buttons of the new expression map folder.

So for example, I would have the first button text changing with the selected track, but it would send a macro to select the first slot of the drop down menu. It would save me a lot of time!

Havoc911

Post by Havoc911 » 01 Feb 2018 22:29

I gave it a try with mixed results. Sometimes it worked well and other times it would not change the articulation. Typically I draw in my articulation changes in the controller lane and I am not switching on the fly like this.

Keep up the fantastic work!

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 02 Feb 2018 00:19

Havoc911 wrote:
01 Feb 2018 22:29
I gave it a try with mixed results. Sometimes it worked well and other times it would not change the articulation.
You say "sometimes" ... do you mean "same track, same expression map, but different times"? Or do you mean "different tracks" or "different espression maps"?
I understand that this is not particularly interesting for your workflow, but we would be very interested in checking your Cubase projects where you have that random behaviour. It would help us and other users in fixing some potential bugs.

If you can help, write to support@deviltechnologies.com

Thank you!
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 02 Feb 2018 00:53

pablo1980 wrote:
01 Feb 2018 21:26
I am asking this for editing in the key editor, not recording the expression map changes.

It doesn´t need to read the coordinates, I have already made the macros which work with the drop down menu in the key editor, I have asigned them to regular buttons in dtouch, but they don´t change the button text when changing tracks, like the new ones.

I just need to be able to replace the Midi Out Messages for a Dtouch macro when I press one of the buttons of the new expression map folder.

So for example, I would have the first button text changing with the selected track, but it would send a macro to select the first slot of the drop down menu. It would save me a lot of time!
OK, understood!
We should discuss about this by E-Mail because I think that it is a very uncommon request (you should do a lot of work by hand before having all perfectly setup). I wouldn’t call this a “seamless” solution, but, if it work for you, we are glad to help.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies