DTouch Cubase with 4K

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
navidsyed

DTouch Cubase with 4K

Post by navidsyed » 25 Feb 2016 17:38

Hello I know this topic has been discussed at gearslutz to some extent, since technology is so rapidly changing I am leaning towards, 4K 40inch LED with PQ Labs G5S 4K, now the question is? would DTouch Cubase support 4K ? if I am not misunderstanding I might have read that DTouch Cubase can support 4K, let me know guys, thanks...

studiodaz1

Re: DTouch Cubase with 4K

Post by studiodaz1 » 29 Feb 2016 22:03

navidsyed wrote:Hello I know this topic has been discussed at gearslutz to some extent, since technology is so rapidly changing I am leaning towards, 4K 40inch LED with PQ Labs G5S 4K, now the question is? would DTouch Cubase support 4K ? if I am not misunderstanding I might have read that DTouch Cubase can support 4K, let me know guys, thanks...
I have always found that Cubase becomes smaller at higher resolutions and i am guessing the the mixer will be too small to use with a finger .

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 02 Mar 2016 15:14

navidsyed wrote:Hello I know this topic has been discussed at gearslutz to some extent, since technology is so rapidly changing I am leaning towards, 4K 40inch LED with PQ Labs G5S 4K, now the question is? would DTouch Cubase support 4K ? if I am not misunderstanding I might have read that DTouch Cubase can support 4K, let me know guys, thanks...
Hello navidsyed, the answer is not easy.

At the moment DTouch for Cubase/Nuendo doesn't support resolution higher than 1920x1080. Why?
The reason is complex:

1) If you want a comfortable touch interaction with Cubase you should have large buttons, icons, slider, etc ...

2) At 4K on a 40"-50" screen everything would be incredibly small. Sufficient for the eyes, but not for the fingers.

3) On a large touchscreen you must interact with a large area, so your arm are extended to reach the most far zones of the screen. Then your touch precision will be lower => you must have larger graphics.

4) At 4K you should use at least a 80" screen (58 DPI, a good value). A monster! Not possible.

5) You could "reduce" the virtual resolution using some "resolution scaling" function of the operating system (Windows7/8/10), but currently this is not supported by DTouch for Cubase and we are nor sure that we will be able to support this anytime in future.
We support this in DTouch for Pro Tools (Windows only at the moment); in fact we have some users with this FANTASTIC setup!

Hope this helps.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

navidsyed

Post by navidsyed » 04 Apr 2016 15:39

ok thanks for the answers, I am not a computer guy so don't know the details, but why sliders and buttons can not be made bigger utilizing the 4K resolution? should'nt this be a scaling thing? like in ipad retina, do things appear smaller ?? no they appears more crisp and more detailed, 1080p touch screen monitors are becoming hard and hard to get unfortunately, especially the ones supported by dtouch, PQ Labs is expensive option but if someone decide to go that route 4K would be the way to go, thanks again for your support.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 15 Apr 2016 16:40

You are right, but I have already answered to this at the 5) point in my previous post.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

navidsyed

Post by navidsyed » 22 Apr 2016 14:39

DT_bettinzana wrote:
5) You could "reduce" the virtual resolution using some "resolution scaling" function of the operating system (Windows7/8/10), but currently this is not supported by DTouch for Cubase and we are nor sure that we will be able to support this anytime in future.
We support this in DTouch for Pro Tools (Windows only at the moment); in fact we have some users with this FANTASTIC setup!

Hope this helps.
May I ask why this feature can not supported in Cubase? since you already did this for Pr Tools? by the way I am asking regarding Cubase Windows version only.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 26 Apr 2016 14:19

Just to tell you something, the big difference between Cubase and Pro Tools is that Cubase uses OpenGL while PT uses an "older" raster graphic rendering approach.
This is only the tip of the iceberg!
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies