Looking for Monitor Suggestions

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
Constantine

Re: Looking for Monitor Suggestions

Post by Constantine » 30 Jun 2016 17:50

I searched all over the site and the internet about monitors compatibility but is hard to find that info. My question is what are the criteria for a touchscreen monitor to work with DTouch. Resolution, touchscreen technology, drivers compatibility... 27 inch is too small and for bigger touchscreen I can't find anything, beside PQ Labs. What about iiYama ProLite? They have infrared touchscreens, capacitive etc. in many sizes. I want to know if two of their models will work with Dtouch : 46 inch infrared http://www.iiyama.com/gl_en/products/pr ... 4mis-b1ag/ and another 46 inch capacitive http://www.iiyama.com/gb_en/products/pr ... 7msc-b1ag/ My main DAW is Cubase Pro 8. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks!

WearyTraveler37

Post by WearyTraveler37 » 04 Jul 2016 00:33

Is there anyone who has tried capacitive touch vs the IR overlays? From what I'm reading capacitive in generally more accurate than the IR overlays? If you are fortunate to have had tested both, is there a noticeable difference when using Dtouch? Also, does the 3M Multi‑touch Display C3266PW work with Dtouch?

Constantine

Post by Constantine » 04 Jul 2016 09:34

I don't think will be noticeable differences between IR and capacitive. Finally it comes to preferences. Anyway apart from PQ Labs, the list of supported monitor by DTouch have capacitive touchscreen technology.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 04 Jul 2016 10:32

Thank you for posting these questions.

We have a list of successfully tested touchmonitors on our web-site, but the potential candidates could be a lot more.
Since the "Constantine" question was related to Cubase on Windows, I will answer according to it.

On Windows you can use 99.99% of the current available touchmonitors. Why? Because today almost all the commercially available touchmonitors are Windows 7/8/10 compatible. So, the Windows compatibility is the starting requirement, which is satisfied by almost all the current commercial models.

Another constraint is the NATIVE resolution of the touchmonitor. It MUST be 1920x1080. Using a larger resolution (like 2560x1440 or 4K) and downscale it with a Windows or graphic card tool (scaling function) doesn't work!

Size: the larger, the better! 27" is the minimum. 50 is too big. In my personal opinion, 40"-42" is great.

Brand and models: we cited PQ-Labs as a DIY solution. Why? Because everything else could be very expensive; it's your choice.

I personally use a capacitive 27" touchmonitor because I have an ergonomically constrained workplace. I think that a 27" IR-technology (like PQ-Labs) could be less accurate than a Projected Capacitive one. For larger sizes, the capacitive technology is very expensive or technically not possible, so the IR is the only option and it works fine.

We have a user with the capacitive 3M C3266PW. It reported great performances. I don't know if he is active on this forum. He uses it on OS X for which we have tweaked our driver. It works out-of-the-box on Windows. It is an expensive touchmonitor, but 3M is a great brand and they have a long history in the development of capacitive touchscreens.

Iiyama is another great touchmonitors brand. For sure we know that for the larger sizes they use the IR technology. Their large size products are not cheap, but you purchase a turn-key product.

I hope this helps!
Last edited by DT_bettinzana on 04 Jul 2016 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

Constantine

Post by Constantine » 04 Jul 2016 13:00

This is really good news Silvano.... I thought seriously about 46 inches will be a little pixelated and maybe too big. I will go with 42 inch capacitive. And it's much cheaper. Thank you very much for your kindness.

WearyTraveler37

Post by WearyTraveler37 » 06 Jul 2016 23:21

DT_bettinzana wrote: Another constraint is the NATIVE resolution of the touchmonitor. It MUST be 1920x1080. Using a larger resolution (like 2560x1440 or 4K) and downscale it with a Windows or graphic card tool (scaling function) doesn't work!
I'm really excited about options that this software brings regarding multi-touch monitor setups, but I think I have one final question. You say the touch monitor has to natively support 1920x1080. In a 3 monitor setup, can the non touch monitor be set at a higher resolution without while two touch monitors operate in 1920x1080 resolution?

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 07 Jul 2016 10:40

WearyTraveler37 wrote:
DT_bettinzana wrote: Another constraint is the NATIVE resolution of the touchmonitor. It MUST be 1920x1080. Using a larger resolution (like 2560x1440 or 4K) and downscale it with a Windows or graphic card tool (scaling function) doesn't work!
I'm really excited about options that this software brings regarding multi-touch monitor setups, but I think I have one final question. You say the touch monitor has to natively support 1920x1080. In a 3 monitor setup, can the non touch monitor be set at a higher resolution without while two touch monitors operate in 1920x1080 resolution?
Interesting question.
I will speak about DTouch for Cubase/Nuendo (on Windows, because it is the only currently supported OS for Cubendo).
In DTouch there are 3 types of monitors:

1) The main touchmonitor! This is the most constrained touchmonitor. This MUST be 1920x1080 (no resolution down-scaling is permitted) and it is the monitor in which DTouch draws it's mixer overlay or all the toolbars (Mix or Project). You can swap the Cubendo Project window on this touchmonitor too.

2) Regular monitors non-touch: you can have any number of these monitors and they can have any resolution. Usually, you can show a Cubendo Mix Console (non-touchable), the Cubendo Project Window (non-touchable), MIDI Editors, Plug-Ins GUI, all the things that you want.

3) Optional touchmonitors (any number of them): on these you can have touchable Plug-Ins GUI, other touchable Windows (Cubendo's ones or OS' ones). These monitors can have any kind of resolution. You can also open the DTouch Macro Folders or other DTouch optional windows (the Matrix Window, for example) on these touchmonitors.

The minumim setup includes one main touchmonitor (MUST be natively 1920*1080).
Then you can add optional regular or touch monitors with your preferred resolutions.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

WearyTraveler37

Post by WearyTraveler37 » 08 Jul 2016 00:32

DT_bettinzana wrote:
WearyTraveler37 wrote:
Interesting question.
I will speak about DTouch for Cubase/Nuendo (on Windows, because it is the only currently supported OS for Cubendo).
In DTouch there are 3 types of monitors:

1) The main touchmonitor! This is the most constrained touchmonitor. This MUST be 1920x1080 (no resolution down-scaling is permitted) and it is the monitor in which DTouch draws it's mixer overlay or all the toolbars (Mix or Project). You can swap the Cubendo Project window on this touchmonitor too.

2) Regular monitors non-touch: you can have any number of these monitors and they can have any resolution. Usually, you can show a Cubendo Mix Console (non-touchable), the Cubendo Project Window (non-touchable), MIDI Editors, Plug-Ins GUI, all the things that you want.

3) Optional touchmonitors (any number of them): on these you can have touchable Plug-Ins GUI, other touchable Windows (Cubendo's ones or OS' ones). These monitors can have any kind of resolution. You can also open the DTouch Macro Folders or other DTouch optional windows (the Matrix Window, for example) on these touchmonitors.

The minumim setup includes one main touchmonitor (MUST be natively 1920*1080).
Then you can add optional regular or touch monitors with your preferred resolutions.

No further questions, your honor! This product is on the purchase list!