OSX monitor

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
~ufo~

Re: OSX monitor

Post by ~ufo~ » 23 Mar 2016 22:10

No worries, glad to help.

Let me clarify that with DTouch running, the touch screen works anyway (no DAW required).
DTouch has it's own driver for them which allows single touch operation of OS X or any other app.

I think, when I hook the Iiyama up to my EL Cap laptop, touch works even without DTouch running.
I'll check that when I can. In that case El Cap may have added some basic touch screen support to OS X
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

Tim

Post by Tim » 01 Apr 2016 20:19

~ufo~ wrote:So here's the deal on OS X.

From El Capitan onward (I think) they work on OS X, but single touch.
No gestures.
Im on El Capitain, how much will this impact the experience? Does this mean one fader at a time, for example? Is this something that Apple need to fix, or is it an Iiyama driver thing? Any idea if the other screens will work with EC?

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 01 Apr 2016 22:36

As far as I know neither OS X or most DAWs support multitouch natively.
Even if you run Pro Tools on a windows version that supports multitouch it won't work because Pro Tools doesn't support it.
That's where the Ravens and DTouches of this world come in.

So if you run the Iiyama on EC without DTouch, Pro Tools will likely be single fader control (at best). I haven't checked if that works, so I'm not sure.

However, considering the very reasonable price of DTouch, I really see no reason for anyone to buy a touchscreen on mac to control their DAW but not buying DTouch.
If you're using a DAW that supports multitouch on mac, that's another thing.
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

Tim

Post by Tim » 02 Apr 2016 07:59

I think I get it now! D touch gives you the multi touch, without it OS X will only recognise single touch as if it was a cursor.

I was intending getting the d touch software for pro tools, just wanted to be sure it worked! Thanks !

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 02 Apr 2016 08:07

Yes, DTouch gives you the multitouch but ONLY on certain elements of Pro Tools. Mainly the faders.

Reason for this is that Pro Tools simply doesn't support multi touch.
They get around that by sort of pretending you are using a HUI controller.

So bear in mind that DTouch will give you some multitouch functionality on your DAW but not on the rest of OS X.

We'll see what the future will bring!
Yvo van Gemert

Tim

Post by Tim » 02 Apr 2016 09:06

Perfect! Thanks again ufo.

How long have you been using d touch?

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 02 Apr 2016 10:04

Tim wrote:How long have you been using d touch?
Since September last year so about seven months now.
Yvo van Gemert

Holger

Post by Holger » 03 Apr 2016 18:17

I've been playing around with a Hanns G HT 273 HPB for the last two days.

I tried connecting it to El Capitan without any drivers first. OS X seems to receive some touch information as the cursor moves when touching the display, but it moves to random locations and is very erratic. Not usable like this. And there seems to be no way to change some settings in OS X. So, without a driver it is a no-go.

The Dtouch driver solves this, but unfortunately it doesn't offer any touch gestures.

For a full multitouch support there is always two sides. The monitor (and its driver) need to support it. And the software you want to control also, no matter if it is OS X, or any application like Pro Tools.

I also tried Studio One 3, which is reported to be touch-capable, but I didn't manage to get this up and running. They talk something about TUIO in the manual. I've got no idea if I would need to install another driver (if available for my display) and how it would work then with TUIO and DTouch on the same machine.

But my main gripe after two days of trying a touchscreen: I don't see it mentioned here a lot, but the resolution of 1980 x 1080 on a 27" so close to your eyes is horrible. It puts quite some strain on the eyes. And while it isn't as bad in Pro Tools, reading some PDF or surfing the web is a pain. I even wonder how people can stand this on a 46"... :o

Now I'm typing at my iMac. It is more far away and especially the 27" (non-retina) has a resolution of 2560x1440. That seems about right.
I understand the resolution is needed for the items on screen to be as big as possible, but for touchscreens to be comfortable there needs to be a solution in the future to have scalable GUIs on higher DPI screens.
 MBPr 15" (Mid 2015) i7, Pro Tools 12.4, Studio One 3, UA Apollo Quad Firewire, DTouch (Hanns.G HT273HPB)

kjd01

Post by kjd01 » 05 Apr 2016 13:03

Holger wrote:I've been playing around with a Hanns G HT 273 HPB for the last two days.

I tried connecting it to El Capitan without any drivers first. OS X seems to receive some touch information as the cursor moves when touching the display, but it moves to random locations and is very erratic. Not usable like this. And there seems to be no way to change some settings in OS X. So, without a driver it is a no-go.

The Dtouch driver solves this, but unfortunately it doesn't offer any touch gestures.

For a full multitouch support there is always two sides. The monitor (and its driver) need to support it. And the software you want to control also, no matter if it is OS X, or any application like Pro Tools.

I also tried Studio One 3, which is reported to be touch-capable, but I didn't manage to get this up and running. They talk something about TUIO in the manual. I've got no idea if I would need to install another driver (if available for my display) and how it would work then with TUIO and DTouch on the same machine.

But my main gripe after two days of trying a touchscreen: I don't see it mentioned here a lot, but the resolution of 1980 x 1080 on a 27" so close to your eyes is horrible. It puts quite some strain on the eyes. And while it isn't as bad in Pro Tools, reading some PDF or surfing the web is a pain. I even wonder how people can stand this on a 46"... :o

Now I'm typing at my iMac. It is more far away and especially the 27" (non-retina) has a resolution of 2560x1440. That seems about right.
I understand the resolution is needed for the items on screen to be as big as possible, but for touchscreens to be comfortable there needs to be a solution in the future to have scalable GUIs on higher DPI screens.
I tried PreSonus Studio previously with an Acer T272HL and it didn't work either on OSX. I contacted PreSonus and they confirmed that they only work with the touch capability of the Monitor and the OS. Because OSX doesn't support touch screens officially then you need to have a driver supplied for the monitor. Most of these monitors don't have their own drivers and they just rely on the OS doing the work. This then only leaves two options first is to purchase software from Touch Base which gives you the TUIO function or the other is to move to a PC and run Windows 10 which gives full touch capability to all of these monitors.
I had a bit of an argument with PreSonus about this because it wasn't clear on their website or their documentation of this limitation. They just kept pushing that their software was touch capable, which it is but in a very limited form especially for OSX.

For me personally the distance and the size of 1920x1080 on 27" is not an issue but that is because it is a single function PC that I just use for mixing. I have another computer with a 27" screen running 2560x1440 for my office work and general computer fun on another desk. I think you'll find the 46" screen guys will most likely be the same.

Holger

Post by Holger » 05 Apr 2016 14:27

kjd01 wrote:I tried PreSonus Studio previously with an Acer T272HL and it didn't work either on OSX. I contacted PreSonus and they confirmed that they only work with the touch capability of the Monitor and the OS. Because OSX doesn't support touch screens officially then you need to have a driver supplied for the monitor. Most of these monitors don't have their own drivers and they just rely on the OS doing the work. This then only leaves two options first is to purchase software from Touch Base which gives you the TUIO function or the other is to move to a PC and run Windows 10 which gives full touch capability to all of these monitors.
I had a bit of an argument with PreSonus about this because it wasn't clear on their website or their documentation of this limitation. They just kept pushing that their software was touch capable, which it is but in a very limited form especially for OSX.
Thanks for your reply. By further investigating I found out the same thing about Studio One.
But it isn't such a big problem. Most of the time, I anyway use only one finger at a time. The same goes for Pro Tools, where the only part that is multitouch is the faders.
kjd01 wrote:For me personally the distance and the size of 1920x1080 on 27" is not an issue but that is because it is a single function PC that I just use for mixing. I have another computer with a 27" screen running 2560x1440 for my office work and general computer fun on another desk. I think you'll find the 46" screen guys will most likely be the same.
Same here. The 27" touch monitor is also only for studio work. But during my day job I sit in front of the 27" iMac. Coming back to the touch monitor the difference is obvious. And like I said, it doesn't matter so much in Pro Tools, but as soon as you open the PT manual or search the web for a driver, you see how horrible it is.

Because of the close distance, I also find myself always leaning way more back on the chair than normal to maintain a distance to the screen. And after a day of work the eyes are way more tired than sitting a day at my other computer.

But maybe it is just something you get used to... we'll see.
 MBPr 15" (Mid 2015) i7, Pro Tools 12.4, Studio One 3, UA Apollo Quad Firewire, DTouch (Hanns.G HT273HPB)