Will Standard EVER look like Legacy?

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
orthogonalrecords

Will Standard EVER look like Legacy?

Post by orthogonalrecords » 09 Oct 2018 07:40

Hi guys!

Since I waited for DTouch for Cubase on Mac for over 2 years now and don't have the feeling it will come soon (if ever), I started testing DTouch for Cubase on Windows this weekend.
I didn't follow the forums for quite a while and so I didn't know about the Standard vs. Legacy versions and the problems with Cubase 9.5.

No problem so far, installed Cubase 9.0 and started testing DTouch Legacy. I do like Legacy a lot, but I absolutely dislike Standard at the moment.
I am completely missing the homogenous appearance of legacy; faders at the bottom, channel settings window between touch buttons, control room on the right hand side, all in one single window. Standard looks like a mess to me with it's multiple windows and I couldn't find a possibility to display at least the touch buttons in the same window as the floating faders. Let alone the channel settings window which seems to be missing completely.

So my easy question is:
Will DTouch Standard EVER have the ability to look like Legacy? At least as an option for people like me? Or will it continue being seperate windows?
And will there be DTouch control of the channel settings window (inserts, sends, eq, channel strip) once again? That's also crucial for me, because I don't see too much potential in fader control only and for standard commands I am already using Cubase icPro on an iPad Pro.

The answer to these questions will most likely have severe impact on my decision of buying DTouch.
I guess I am perfectly happy with Cubase 9.0 for now and the next 2 to 3 years, but at some point I will probably want to upgrade to a newer version. If I would have to throw away DTouch at that point, I'm not willing to invest €200,- now.

Thanks upfront and best regards,
Markus

DT_bettinzana

Re: Will Standard EVER look like Legacy?

Post by DT_bettinzana » 09 Oct 2018 16:50

orthogonalrecords wrote:
09 Oct 2018 07:40
So my easy question is:
Will DTouch Standard EVER have the ability to look like Legacy?
No :(
orthogonalrecords wrote:
Or will it continue being seperate windows?
We could improve the Floating mixer with additional sections, but it will never have the appearance of the "Legacy mode".
orthogonalrecords wrote:
And will there be DTouch control of the channel settings window (inserts, sends, eq, channel strip) once again?
You should open the Cubendo "Channel Settings" panel.
orthogonalrecords wrote:
The answer to these questions will most likely have severe impact on my decision of buying DTouch.
I guess I am perfectly happy with Cubase 9.0 for now and the next 2 to 3 years, but at some point I will probably want to upgrade to a newer version. If I would have to throw away DTouch at that point, I'm not willing to invest €200,- now.
I understand, but we cannot do much more than what you already see in the current "Standard Mode"
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

orthogonalrecords

Post by orthogonalrecords » 09 Oct 2018 19:07

Ok, thanks Silvano for that fast and clear answer.

My demo is running until the beginning of November, so I am going to keep fiddling arround with Standard a little more.
Maybe I'll be able to come up with a Setup that I like.

Best,
Markus

Tumppi

Post by Tumppi » 10 Oct 2018 19:40

Just use time to learn and tweak stuff. If I was able to learn it, you will also.

There are still few things I miss about legacy, but standard mode is highly customable via workspaces in Nuendo and DTouch.
I freaked out when this new legacy/standard was publiced. But I started learning what standard could do for me and participated to development via this forum.

Now it has gotten to a point, that I like standarf almost more than legacy mode. I can make it almost the same , but more build for me...

Yes, many windows can be a hastle, but once setup, it rocks!
gear:
Nuendo, latest
Pro Tools 12.5
Win10 64bit
Acer 27" touch screen
RME FF800

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » 10 Oct 2018 22:28

Standart Mode is far more powerfull than the Legacy one… ;)
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 3x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 10 / VEP6 / D-Touch Cubase / Console 1 / iPad 3 Lemur... /

orthogonalrecords

Post by orthogonalrecords » 11 Oct 2018 06:12

Thanks guys for your encouragement. :D

I played around with standard a little bit and will continue learning the differences to legacy.

However, one thought came to my mind yesterday concerning the many different windows:
Would it be possible to have something like an advanced Setup program for standard? Just like the one for legacy?
There, one could choose which panels are displayed where on the screen and set that up once for all.

The cherry on the cake would be to display all these panels in a single window and thus have a homogenously coloured background for everything. Then one could also leave space for the Cubase channel editor window and position it accordingly.

Or is that, appart from the single window thing, already possible with the use of DTouch workspaces?

pablo1980

Post by pablo1980 » 11 Oct 2018 10:13

You can set standard in any config you like (making room for the channel editor, several macro windows, etc) then you can lock the dtouch windows locations, and create a workspace that always opens that way when you start dtouch.

You can make several workspaces to address different needs.

Standard is much more powerful than legacy!!

The only missing thing you mention is the background color and I think somebody has asked here about it. Probably is not a big deal to unify the background color of the mixers and windows

orthogonalrecords

Post by orthogonalrecords » 11 Oct 2018 12:46

pablo1980 wrote:
11 Oct 2018 10:13
You can set standard in any config you like (making room for the channel editor, several macro windows, etc) then you can lock the dtouch windows locations, and create a workspace that always opens that way when you start dtouch.

You can make several workspaces to address different needs.

Standard is much more powerful than legacy!!

The only missing thing you mention is the background color and I think somebody has asked here about it. Probably is not a big deal to unify the background color of the mixers and windows
Sounds great, thanks pablo.

Will try to set standard up that way.
I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to unify the background color and am looking forward to the day it's done. :D

pablo1980

Post by pablo1980 » 11 Oct 2018 12:59

It is my pleasure, don´t hesitate to ask anything about setting up your layout°

Constantine

Post by Constantine » 12 Oct 2018 10:40

"Standard Mode": Requires you to do more tweakings.

At first I didn't like the new interface.
But in time, with each update, has evolved into something beautiful, stable, easy and fast. So... Give it some time. Read the manual, explore the new settings and options.