New DTouch for Cubase+Nuendo v1.5.2 BETA

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
Havoc911

Re: New DTouch for Cubase+Nuendo v1.5.2 BETA

Post by Havoc911 » 21 Jan 2019 14:30

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with standard layout. I have thought of doing an overview video for standard layout, but videos take a long time to produce. There's also the problem of giving an overview of my specific layout and macros, as they may not apply to others.

That said, what would you like to see specifically? I can throw together something unpolished if it will help.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 21 Jan 2019 18:20

kjd01 wrote:
20 Jan 2019 14:03
I have a few things I was hoping you could help with. .....................................
We have corrected some things in the code and tomorrow you will receive a reply here. Anyway, good news ...
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 21 Jan 2019 18:25

chazC wrote:
21 Jan 2019 07:51
Well, I’ve struggled on with the ‘standard’ mode of Dtouch with Cubase 9.5/10 and I’m admitting defeat. I just can’t adjust to the touchscreen workflow. I’ll still use DTouch in ProTools but I’ve just about transitioned fully to Cubendo these days, even for audio recording and editing.

I miss the tactile feel of faders and I just can’t seem to shake using the mouse for routine tasks. Pretty bummed out about it but it’s just taking longer to do things via touchscreen.
OK, but your last sentence is not related to the difference between the Standard and Legacy mode. Isn't it?
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

chazC

Post by chazC » 22 Jan 2019 04:15

Havoc911 wrote:
21 Jan 2019 14:30
Sorry to hear you're having troubles with standard layout. I have thought of doing an overview video for standard layout, but videos take a long time to produce. There's also the problem of giving an overview of my specific layout and macros, as they may not apply to others.

That said, what would you like to see specifically? I can throw together something unpolished if it will help.
It’s not the layout problem per-se- it’s more my mindset I think. At least in legacy mode the whole workspace felt integrated, in standard it just feels ‘tacked on’. As I said, I’m old school and I think it’s the whole floating window thing that I can’t adjust to. Not the software’s fault at all and if the only way to do touch in Cubase is with the standard method then so be it.

I’d just like to see a typical Cubase/Nuendo session run with DTouch standard mode just to see someone else’s workflow. Not so much mixing but tracking/editing/MIDI specifically and how all the windows and workspaces are managed.
--

Chaz

Pro Tools 11HD/2018 | Cubase Pro 10/Nuendo 8 | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mk2d | DTouch (Acer 272HL) | Console 1 Mk2 | Komplete Kontrol S49

chazC

Post by chazC » 22 Jan 2019 04:24

DT_bettinzana wrote:
21 Jan 2019 18:25
chazC wrote:
21 Jan 2019 07:51
Well, I’ve struggled on with the ‘standard’ mode of Dtouch with Cubase 9.5/10 and I’m admitting defeat. I just can’t adjust to the touchscreen workflow. I’ll still use DTouch in ProTools but I’ve just about transitioned fully to Cubendo these days, even for audio recording and editing.

I miss the tactile feel of faders and I just can’t seem to shake using the mouse for routine tasks. Pretty bummed out about it but it’s just taking longer to do things via touchscreen.
OK, but your last sentence is not related to the difference between the Standard and Legacy mode. Isn't it?
Hi Silvano! Yeah look, I’m not blaming DTouch so much as my own mind-set. TBH I was struggling with touchscreen workflow a bit before Standard vs legacy even came about but with the change it threw my workflow again; so to clarify, it’s more of a mind-set issue coupled with the change of operation that’s got me beaten I’m afraid. I fully understand the need for Standard mode due to the way Cubase & Nuendo now work graphically so I’m not having a dig at DTouch - just the need for the change really.

The last sentence isn’t related to the different modes, no - it’s related to the fact I can’t close my eyes and ride a fader! ;)
--

Chaz

Pro Tools 11HD/2018 | Cubase Pro 10/Nuendo 8 | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mk2d | DTouch (Acer 272HL) | Console 1 Mk2 | Komplete Kontrol S49

Support Team

Post by Support Team » 22 Jan 2019 11:02

kjd01 wrote:
I have a few things I was hoping you could help with. I have attached 3 screenshots. The first shows a double Float Mix Window as someone else has done and I have them Linked so they scroll together. This works fine. The problem is when I switch to the view in screenshot two the link will not remove. Every time I switch between the views I need to unlink the floating mix window again otherwise I cannot scroll to see all the tracks as they are appearing on the other floating mix window which isn't visible. For some reason, the Link of the mix windows can be put back on every time I switch it just doesn't get removed. Also when I try and remove it, it takes about 4 tries before it gets removed.
That was a bug, which we fixed in the v1.5.6 BETA version. Thank you for your report!

kjd01 wrote:
You can also see that I wanted to try and line up the Rack to the faders, which I can't get perfect but I can get close if I leave space on either side empty. I decided this would be a good place to put a row of buttons to fill the space. The problem is for some reason there is a massive border if you create a folder with only one button in the column. This then overlaps the Cubase Rack window. I need to have the folders ontop otherwise things start to go wrong when I touch windows etc.
The folder with a single column is already at its minimum width; we cannot lower that anymore. This is because of a MS Windows problem.

kjd01 wrote:
The third problem is that I have a Presonus fader port and I use to use the fine mode when pressing the shift key. I got sick of the noise of the fader moving every time I pressed the shift key as I am typing or doing shortcuts so I disabled it as shown in screenshot three. The problem is it is still moving the fader every time I press shift and I cannot work out why.
We had the Presonus FADERPORT working almost correctly here, except for a specific corner case, which we fixed in the v1.5.6 BETA version.
Please test it and tell us if the problem is resolved.

kjd01 wrote:
Another question is that I really loved the way DTouch work in version 9 and below and one feature I really miss is the bank buttons. Having to scroll all the time annoys me. Is there any way to program macros to perform bank functions and bank to end and start like you use to do.
Starting from the v1.5.6 BETA version, we implemented a new functionality through the use of the banking Standard Function buttons.
You can add one of the banking Standard Function buttons in the User Button Rack of a Floating Mixer, and that button functionality will be enabled for that Floating Mixer. This is similar to what we did in v1.5.2 for the VOLUME, SEND x, CUE x, ... buttons.
In short, this means that if you add a "BANK R" button on Floating Mixer 1, you can now use it to bank right on Floating Mixer 1.
This will NOT bank the Cubase/Nuendo Mixer: that cannot be done.

The new version v1.5.6 BETA is available for download from our website.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 22 Jan 2019 14:13

chazC wrote:
22 Jan 2019 04:24
The last sentence isn’t related to the different modes, no - it’s related to the fact I can’t close my eyes and ride a fader! ;)
Hey, do you have a physical fader controller which is supported by our DFader (or DTouch DFader mode)? I would be very interested in having a feedback by an "old-school" guy about the "feeling" of the DFader feature.
In my opinion the mouse/touch_point + DFading is a winner workflow.
Can we organize a test on your side? Unfortunately, you must own a supported physical controller; do you have one?
Not that DFader is a substitute of DTouch; it is only for "fading"; neither I want to sell it to you! I am just interested in having the opinion by somebody who used to work with an analog/digital console.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

chazC

Post by chazC » 22 Jan 2019 20:54

DT_bettinzana wrote:
22 Jan 2019 14:13
chazC wrote:
22 Jan 2019 04:24
Hey, do you have a physical fader controller which is supported by our DFader (or DTouch DFader mode)? I would be very interested in having a feedback by an "old-school" guy about the "feeling" of the DFader feature.
In my opinion the mouse/touch_point + DFading is a winner workflow.
Can we organize a test on your side? Unfortunately, you must own a supported physical controller; do you have one?
Not that DFader is a substitute of DTouch; it is only for "fading"; neither I want to sell it to you! I am just interested in having the opinion by somebody who used to work with an analog/digital console.
Yes, I have an Alphatrack I briefly tried with DTouch.. I do have a BCF2000 too but never hooked it up to DTouch due to space constraints with the touchscreen and the hope I could use the touchscreen exclusively.
--

Chaz

Tumppi

Post by Tumppi » 28 Jan 2019 19:11

chazC wrote:
22 Jan 2019 04:15
Havoc911 wrote:
21 Jan 2019 14:30

It’s not the layout problem per-se- it’s more my mindset I think. At least in legacy mode the whole workspace felt integrated, in standard it just feels ‘tacked on’. As I said, I’m old school and I think it’s the whole floating window thing that I can’t adjust to. Not the software’s fault at all and if the only way to do touch in Cubase is with the standard method then so be it.

I’d just like to see a typical Cubase/Nuendo session run with DTouch standard mode just to see someone else’s workflow. Not so much mixing but tracking/editing/MIDI specifically and how all the windows and workspaces are managed.
I think here is very important points.
For me the functionality Dtouch offers is amazing. Compared to euphonix mc5 it offer almost the same functionality with so much less money. A big plus!

But there are few things where it can’t compare to euphonixs mc5 or 6.
First: real faders. You just can’t beat them. The feel they have etc.
Second: with eucon it is not that big difference if you are using PT or Nuendo. Basic stuff remains the same.
Third: I hate that your own macro buttons don’t work when kept pressed long time. It is just one press to Dtouch.

So. What I have in mind? If the 24 fader bank that is being developed by Devil tech will be reasonable priced, it will be very attractive.
And then, some ”real” buttons (x keys style) added to that and what I have is a very very very excellent controller for a very very reasonable price...
gear:
Nuendo, latest
Pro Tools 12.5
Win10 64bit
Acer 27" touch screen
RME FF800

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 29 Jan 2019 19:52

Tumppi wrote:
28 Jan 2019 19:11
But there are few things where it can’t compare to euphonixs mc5 or 6.

First: real faders. You just can’t beat them. The feel they have etc.
I totally agree!!
Tumppi wrote:
Second: with eucon it is not that big difference if you are using PT or Nuendo. Basic stuff remains the same.
OK, but we haven't access to EUCON.
For PT we only have HUI.
For Cubendo, our protocol is, probably, better than EUCON.
So ... stellar differences between DTouch for PT and for Cubendo.
Tumppi wrote:
Third: I hate that your own macro buttons don’t work when kept pressed long time. It is just one press to Dtouch.
Can you explain better this point?
Tumppi wrote:
So. What I have in mind? If the 24 fader bank that is being developed by Devil tech will be reasonable priced, it will be very attractive.
And then, some ”real” buttons (x keys style) added to that and what I have is a very very very excellent controller for a very very reasonable price...
OK, now the point is: what is a resonable price for a bank of 24 motorfaders + some buttons? You must ask for a product with a price if you want to push a manufacturer. I assure you that in this way you could have a positive result. So, please, tell me more!

A module with x keys style buttons; post here an image of this "x keys".
I think that I will never integrate this keys-block in a fader module because it could be a waste of money for many users, but, maybe, ad additional module.

Waiting for your comments :D
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies