iPad Pro 2018

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
~ufo~

iPad Pro 2018

Post by ~ufo~ » 23 Nov 2018 07:48

Since the new iPad Pro is a powerful computer now, but still has a small touch screen I was wondering if you could drive a larger touch screen with it.
I know that you can drive a monitor with it via an HDMI adapter.

What would make it really powerful, if you could extend your iPad Pro to a larger touch screen in your studio.

In fact, Apple should launch a 27" touch screen to pair with the iPad Pro, as an answer to MS Surface Studio 2.

What do you guys think?
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

DT_bettinzana

Re: iPad Pro 2018

Post by DT_bettinzana » 29 Nov 2018 16:45

~ufo~ wrote:
23 Nov 2018 07:48
Since the new iPad Pro is a powerful computer now, but still has a small touch screen I was wondering if you could drive a larger touch screen with it.
I know that you can drive a monitor with it via an HDMI adapter.

What would make it really powerful, if you could extend your iPad Pro to a larger touch screen in your studio.

In fact, Apple should launch a 27" touch screen to pair with the iPad Pro, as an answer to MS Surface Studio 2.

What do you guys think?
I don't know if you can drive a touchscreen with it and probably I will not test it for a long time because I have no intention to pay all that money for an iPad Pro if I can have the iPad (not Pro) for a lot less.
Do you think that somebody will develop a DAW with the same power of Pro-Tools, Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, Ableto-Live ... for the iPad Pro? For me it could be a good tablet, not a powerful computer.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 29 Nov 2018 22:32

Check out the Benchmarks of the new iPad Pro.... it's a pretty powerful computer alright.
Not workstation powerful but certainly mid to high level laptop powerful.

I've talked to Robin Vincent of Molten Music (the guy who does the Surface DAW youtube videos) and he was pretty sure that the Surface could drive a second touch screen.

I doubt it's possible on the iPad Pro at the moment, but it would be interesting!
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 30 Nov 2018 00:12

~ufo~ wrote:
29 Nov 2018 22:32
Check out the Benchmarks of the new iPad Pro.... it's a pretty powerful computer alright.
Not workstation powerful but certainly mid to high level laptop powerful.
With all those money I can build a supercomputer.
And, iOS is neither OS X nor Windows. Totally different instruction set for the CPU. Zero availability of Plug-Ins and SDK. A lot of road to be done in my opinion, and what are the advantages?
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 30 Nov 2018 00:20

Agreed,

even though the iPad Pro is now certainly powerful enough to run a full DAW and lots of plugins, there aren't any major ones yet.
I heard there's one, I forgot what it's called.

Waves have ported a few plugins to iOS, but only a few.

Of course, there are people who make music on an iPad on the go and would like to hook it up to a larger touch screen in the studio.
But for te mainstream, it's not a perfect solution yet.

Surface Pro would be better, because it runs full fledged Windows/DAWs.

I'm just thinking it's an interesting concept.
12" tablet hooked up to a larger touch screen.
If the CPU and software are there, quite powerful and mobile system for those who create on the go.
Yvo van Gemert

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 30 Nov 2018 00:21

Of course, you are right in doubting whether any of the known companies wil develop a full DAW for iOS anytime soon.

Wouldn't surprise me if Bitwig goes iPad, of course. If it hasn't already.
Yvo van Gemert

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 30 Nov 2018 16:55

~ufo~ wrote:
30 Nov 2018 00:20
Agreed,

even though the iPad Pro is now certainly powerful enough to run a full DAW and lots of plugins, there aren't any major ones yet.
I heard there's one, I forgot what it's called.

Waves have ported a few plugins to iOS, but only a few.

Of course, there are people who make music on an iPad on the go and would like to hook it up to a larger touch screen in the studio.
But for te mainstream, it's not a perfect solution yet.

Surface Pro would be better, because it runs full fledged Windows/DAWs.

I'm just thinking it's an interesting concept.
12" tablet hooked up to a larger touch screen.
If the CPU and software are there, quite powerful and mobile system for those who create on the go.
OK, it is not for me. I have many (touch)screens, very large sizes screens, much RAM, a LOT of HDs with many TB, RAID file-server, some slave PCs, QWERTY keyboards, 88 + 76 keys MIDI keyboards, an Upright Piano, a nylon guitar, some footswitches, breathcontroller, 7 + 2 near field monitors + 1 sub, ...
When I go on the Milan Metro my last thinking is to make/compose music.
Maybe that the iPad DAW can be good for few, but not for the masses. For me the iPad is sufficient for Internet browsing; if I must type more than 20 words, I'd rather switch to a PC/Laptop with a keyboard.

On the other end, I think that the desktop market is dying and Intel/AMD will invest less and less in the powerful desktop CPU because the mobile devices market is pervasive. And this is not good for us :cry:
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » 01 Dec 2018 01:36

We still have powerfull desktop but it's more & more pricey… for 1000/1500 € you better go for laptop but for 2500/3000 € (first price) we have power.. thinking about 9900K and new Gibabyte Z390 Designare with 2 thunderbolt many USB 3.1/3... and two intel Lan… well with 64go ram that's my next one…. ;) 8-) OK not true pro, like the computer of my godson have for 3D Hollywood movie & games)
But yes now all the stuff going to be "portable" "minimalism" :?
but we will have some "good" future times with good Desktop computer... ;) 8-)
And for me I agree iPad is nice for internet mail TV when travel… but when I made music I need my stuff….. and it's not really "portable"... :D
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 3x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 10 / VEP6 / D-Touch Cubase / Console 1 / iPad 3 Lemur... /

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 01 Dec 2018 12:01

All understood, but as mobile X64 chips have been narrowing the gap between portable and desktop performance, so have have Apple's ARM based chips.
What's in the iPad Pro is pretty impressive and for a lot of people will suffice, just like an i5 quad core will suffice.

It's not for me either, as a main machine, in fact I'm getting more and more into the high end now I'm all ITB and doing a ton of paralel bus processing in lieu of simple 2bus processing.
But I'm no regular music maker. I think the iPads will be plenty powerful in the near future, and if they can drive a second touch screen like the MS Surface can and gain thunderbolt/USB3 for peripherals and interfaces.... well, then it could be a powerful music tool for many.

I'm not all that interested in the reasons why it's not perfect for the people in this forum, I'm interested in the potential it has for music makers, regardless of whether that includes us.

Also, It wouldn't surprise me if a distributed processing protocol gets introduced that could help in these scenarios.
Say you have an iPad and at home you hook it up to a large touch screen (which is a Tablet/iMac on its own). Then they could gang up and share the processing load.
Maybe you could hook up your iPhone as a remote, which also could act as a processing node.

Several devices, one cluster... I don't know, it's interesting.
Yvo van Gemert

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 03 Dec 2018 18:53

My thinking is that I need a lot of huge peripherals (the first one is the MIDI keyboard), so my rig cannot be portable. And one of my preferred regular PC peripheral is the QWERTY keyboard.
That said, the iPad Pro is not for me. It is portable (and I cannot care about it because of all my other peripherals), it has a too small display and it is incredibly constrained because of its portability and battery dependence.
If Apple wants to sell me a personal computer (as they pretend to call their new tablet), they must sell me something which is better than what I have now and with a better price. The iPad Pro is neither better neither have better performance than my 10 years old PCs; for me it is an expensive tablet.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies