Setting up is hard to do

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
n0nspaz

Setting up is hard to do

Post by n0nspaz » 04 May 2019 02:50

I am just now setting up my touchscreen after buying the hardware and software a year ago. I have to say, I am a little taken aback by:
1. deviltechnologies.com website is down
2. searching the forums for SETUP HELP returns something rude about my search terms being too "common." Pffftt
3. Dtouch driver/software has no HELP functionality

I'm lost and abandoned.. I need complete Win10-64 setup, calibration, etc.
Maybe a kind user will step up?

DT_bettinzana

Re: Setting up is hard to do

Post by DT_bettinzana » 04 May 2019 09:29

n0nspaz wrote:
04 May 2019 02:50
I am just now setting up my touchscreen after buying the hardware and software a year ago. I have to say, I am a little taken aback by:
1. deviltechnologies.com website is down
2. searching the forums for SETUP HELP returns something rude about my search terms being too "common." Pffftt
3. Dtouch driver/software has no HELP functionality

I'm lost and abandoned.. I need complete Win10-64 setup, calibration, etc.
Maybe a kind user will step up?
Hello!

Now the website is online again.
On the website you can find the User Guide for your version of DTouch.
Anyway, we (Devil Technologies) are your best friends for this, not the other users. Write an E-Mail to support@deviltechnologies.com

Start to carefully read the User Guide; it is a lot better than searching for help on the forums.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

mkazeta

Re: website up!!!!!

Post by mkazeta » 14 May 2019 04:42

whats the point in having the website up when you still have old downloads that dont work because you are apperently not giving out anymore activation codes because ur not using ilok anymore plus only the home screen really works evrything else is down even the store whats the point of website when theres no SW,DTouch for any i/OS

DT_bettinzana

Re: website up!!!!!

Post by DT_bettinzana » 14 May 2019 10:28

mkazeta wrote:
14 May 2019 04:42
whats the point in having the website up when you still have old downloads that dont work because you are apperently not giving out anymore activation codes because ur not using ilok anymore plus only the home screen really works evrything else is down even the store whats the point of website when theres no SW,DTouch for any i/OS
Because there are users who already have an iLok license and they could need to download the installers and the manuals of the most recent versions.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

n0nspaz

Post by n0nspaz » 16 May 2019 18:00

Some initial feedback while getting started with a new PQ Labs touchscreen & Dtouch for Cubase.
  • The manual could be made clearer by stating at the start of each section, HOW to open the window it is talking about, for example the Workspace Manager, or the Midi Controller window (which I still have not found). Please don't reply back with instructions to open these, I will figure it out. The concept is that the manual, in most chapters, does not tell you how to access the thing it goes on to explain.
  • After a couple of hours modifying user buttons etc, Cubase hung. I only found out about this because I tried to save some (workspace? or something) configuration, and Dtouch popped up an error about not being able to communicate with Cubase. So I had to force-close my session. Not a good first impression.
  • Honestly if Dtouch is going to help my workflow, I want complete customizability, e.g. I want to get rid of these useless standard buttons for SHIFT CTRL ALT UNDO REDO etc which I already have hard buttons for. Waste of screen space. These should be able to be modified in my opinion.
  • Overall, all buttons are too large and I am left with very little screen real estate. 40" TV 1920x1080
  • User buttons are limited to being placed on panels that one must scroll through just to find the right panel, then the right button? I can't make my own floating windows?
  • Would like to be able to UNDO accidentally deleting/modifying DTouch user buttons.
  • Top area of the Floating Mixer should do at least as much as the Cubase mixer does, and be completely customizable. How am I supposed to adjust input trim levels or direct outs, which I use all the time?
These are my initial impressions. Still having trouble imagining how this setup is going to be faster than using a kb & mouse wheel ..... :? but I'm still working through it :geek:

n0nspaz

Post by n0nspaz » 16 May 2019 18:34

Tried saving the project and RESYNC DTouch, still getting this error...

...ok so it seems that the user has to completely quit DTouch and relaunch, anytime a different session is opened? This is the only way it will sync for me. Is this true?
Attachments
DTouchWarning.png
DTouchWarning.png (3.64 KiB) Viewed 9110 times

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » 16 May 2019 22:06

What is your system (OS etc..) Cubase version ? did you use "legacy" DTouch ?
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 3x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 10 / VEP6 / D-Touch Cubase / Console 1 / iPad 3 Lemur... /

n0nspaz

Post by n0nspaz » 17 May 2019 02:18

Win10 Pro
Cubase 9.0.20
The manual says Legacy mode is being phased out, so of course I am only working in Standard mode.

It's hard to get my head around the concept of using onscreen buttons for things that kb & mouse can already do, and giving up real estate for that. and the Mixer channels are so W I D E, yet missing essential Cubase mixer functions... still skeptical here. Thanks

n0nspaz

Post by n0nspaz » 17 May 2019 04:12

Wow... still day 1 here but I am really underwhelmed by the interface and and the lack of visual integration with Cubase. I bought into a touchscreen because I want more of a console feel and a large editing workspace that feels less like using a computer. DTouch Standard is basically all these extra windows with largely redundant buttons and faders that I now have to make room for in my Cubase session layout. Buried functions in mini-menus.... and 10 user panels to scroll thru to find a command... who is using this? and please tell how it helps productivity?

In the UI dep't there is a lot to be desired. It's the piecemeal windowed interface, buttons (color scheme? hello? ), wasted negative space on fader screens, lack of sizability, lack of phase, input trim, LPF, HPF, directo outs, etc. means I am supposed to use both Cubase and Dtouch mixer screens now ..? Confused.

Manual is clearly well-intentioned but overly confusing for new startups due to the Legacy mode and the thing I mentioned earlier, and it feels unfinished. Advice- Split into 2 smaller manuals. Keep it a clear setup path for the new user, who doesn't want to jump around being confused ("Did they say 5 pages ago that this feature works in Standard mode?" "hmmm can't remember...")

I can imagine there are heavy limitations on interfacing with Cubase. If so, I'm not sure this technology is there yet. Overall advice, Instead of trying to map Cubase functions to touchpoints and throw in a crazy complex programming language functionality (which appeals to some), focus on creating an integrated, professional looking & feeling workflow environment with solid testing led by senior UI designers.

But for Dtouch to hang Cubase on day 1, I think this is the killer.... I can't have that.
Still testing... :?

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 17 May 2019 08:25

DTouch for cubase is definitely a less integrated, plug and play solution than DTouch for PT is.
It can seem very intimidating and confusing at first.
But, the flip-side to that is that it is very powerful and customisable.
It has a learning curve and it requires some setup time, getting used to to find a good workflow.
But it can be very powerful.

You're just beginning, so I can imagine you're a little lost and confused.
Let some people advise you to get on your way.

I'll offer two small things:

1. Having functions in the DTouch menu that are duplicates of the Cubase GUI, may seem superfluous, but since you cannot move the Cubase GUI to have the buttons where they are most ergonomic to a touch screen user, it's certainly handy that DTouch allows you to mirror those functions where you want them. It takes some getting used to, but it is helpful.

2. The macro engine may seem daunting, but being able to programme simple things is pretty great and you can use preset macros as well as import macro's other people have created (like you find on this forums).
The programming language is not ideal, but I found I got the hang of creating simple macros quite easily (you don't need to know python for that) and I found the Devil staff always willing to help create more advanced macros.
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.