WHY?

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
melph

WHY?

Post by melph » 02 Nov 2019 12:06

Why is Dtouch something that on the face of it, doesn't appear more popular? Is it that many musicians still prefer physical faders compared to touchscreen?

I have been a real fan of control surfaces with physical faders and buttons, but I always seem to spend more time fixing or fault finding / setting up these devices than actually composing. I'm hoping Dtouch allows me the freedom to just get on with composing but provides lots of flexabilty in control.

Ive been looking into this product and been trying to find videos on Youtube showing people using it. Im really surprised I can find only a few videos. It might well be a project for me to record a few (once I have purchased Dtouch).

Finally, is this product still actively developed? I can see some forum posts about a September 2019 update that was rolled out, which is a very positive sign. However, the home page has broken links which doesn't give a good appearance / first impression. I had to delve further into the forums to see that there is activity here. I know web front page stuff probably takes second priority to actually developing this software, but have propective purchasers been put off by this?

Small critisims but hopefully constructive as well - I would like to see good products like this go from strength to strength.

Havoc911

Re: WHY?

Post by Havoc911 » 02 Nov 2019 15:01

Among creative professionals, there seems to be two general groups. One group are those who prefer the ability to tweak and customize things to their liking and the other group just wants to turn on a piece of hardware (or start a program) and have everything already set up. I assume the second group are in the majority and I think that's why you don't see DTouch (or the stuff from 14bitmidi) becoming more widely used. It took a lot of work to write macros, design 150+ custom buttons in Photoshop and then arrange them in a layout that made sense. Most people do not want to sink that kind of effort into a product, assuming that they have the skills to do it in the first place. I assume that most of the people in this group will purchase a Raven if they can get over not having a physical fader.

It's partly because of this that I have avoided doing any kind of tutorial. You could do some basic stuff like how to write a macro, but any UI demo or general overview might be confusing as every one of our setups is unique.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 02 Nov 2019 15:09

melph wrote:
02 Nov 2019 12:06
However, the home page has broken links which doesn't give a good appearance / first impression.
You are right :evil: We will fix the broken links :D
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

melph

Post by melph » 02 Nov 2019 16:07

Thanks for the replies and yes, i think you have identified the potential reason for a lack of videos.

Going down the touchscreen route is so obvious, but i nearly ended up buying more hardware controllers.... to go with the collection of other underused controllers. I am guilty of spending more time and money buying kit that basicly is underused. Dtouch will be so good for my creativity, i am sure of it.

Fernando_SM37

Post by Fernando_SM37 » 16 Feb 2020 17:49

Well I think there is also an awful lot of people who doesn't even imagine this kind of tools even exist.

Probably they know about ravens which are pretty expensive and need a lot of room to install.. or they have heard about HZ touch set up being a custom made product and thus, much more expensive than ravens...

I myself was one of the latter, until I saw one of Tom Holkenborg's videos where he explains that he has the same software as HZ and vaguely mentions that there are other options.

This triggered my curiosity and just by doing a couple of google searches I found about DT. I investigated a bit and found that It actually was pretty simple to incorporate this software to my set up and now I'm just waiting to get paid this month to buy a license for the Cubase touch set up.

I think that if more of us commented or demonstrated how easy and relatively inexpensive is to set this things up, this kind of technology would be more popular.

I will for sure do some videos about my experience with this after I learn to use it fluently.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 16 Feb 2020 18:14

Fernando_SM37 wrote:
16 Feb 2020 17:49
Well I think there is also an awful lot of people who doesn't even imagine this kind of tools even exist.

Probably they know about ravens which are pretty expensive and need a lot of room to install.. or they have heard about HZ touch set up being a custom made product and thus, much more expensive than ravens...

I myself was one of the latter, until I saw one of Tom Holkenborg's videos where he explains that he has the same software as HZ and vaguely mentions that there are other options.

This triggered my curiosity and just by doing a couple of google searches I found about DT. I investigated a bit and found that It actually was pretty simple to incorporate this software to my set up and now I'm just waiting to get paid this month to buy a license for the Cubase touch set up.

I think that if more of us commented or demonstrated how easy and relatively inexpensive is to set this things up, this kind of technology would be more popular.

I will for sure do some videos about my experience with this after I learn to use it fluently.
Hello!
If you are interested in somethink like the HZ touch setup, DTouch is not for you ... BUT we are exactly working on something of that type and even better. You should only be patient for 1-2 months and we will release all the specs and probably a preliminary version.

Thank you for your interest in our SW.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

Fernando_SM37

Post by Fernando_SM37 » 23 Feb 2020 21:52

Hello!
If you are interested in somethink like the HZ touch setup, DTouch is not for you ... BUT we are exactly working on something of that type and even better. You should only be patient for 1-2 months and we will release all the specs and probably a preliminary version.

Thank you for your interest in our SW.
Oh, trust me, I'm heavily interested in what you guys have to offer. I have been trying out the software in trial mode and following the manual, and I think that it is already an amazing product.

Sure HZ set up is amazing, but it's way beyond what us regular joes can afford (until we become something more than regular at some point..)

I will definitely wait to see what you guys manage to achieve, but I also will buy the product as is right now because I find it really useful for what I want to do.

Looking forward to see what you guys are cooking.

Cheers!