General touchscreen question

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
Tumppi

General touchscreen question

Post by Tumppi » 27 May 2020 16:37

Hi!
Not directly a Dtouch issue but still kind of it is...

Using a hw touch sensitive controller when ever you put your finger for example on a fader, that fader will react to that touch straight away and the DAW goes into a "write" mode. No need to move that fader, just touch and write starts.

With my Acer touchscreen this is not the case.
If I touch a fader (or any other control knob on my Nuendo) touch write does not trigger. Only when I move that fader or knob.
This results into a small lack and a ramp to written automation.

With Dtouch virtual faders everything acts just as a hw controller, touch a fader, write triggers on.

Now why is this also Dtouch issue...
It is because we lost the previous way Dtouch worked in the legacy mode and channel editors etc are now controlled actually with the DAWs interface and not by Dtouches layers.

So, my question: Is there a way to make my touchscreen to act like a HW controller so that the "write" starts straight when touching some control and not moving it?
If this is not possible I'm afraid touchscreen controllers fall unfortunately to being just programmable buttons tablets...

Hope I explaned this in some sensible way…

Bye / Tumppi
gear:
Nuendo, latest
Pro Tools 12.5
Win10 64bit
Acer 27" touch screen
RME FF800

DT_bettinzana

Re: General touchscreen question

Post by DT_bettinzana » 28 May 2020 14:51

Tumppi wrote:
27 May 2020 16:37
Hi!
Not directly a Dtouch issue but still kind of it is...

Using a hw touch sensitive controller when ever you put your finger for example on a fader, that fader will react to that touch straight away and the DAW goes into a "write" mode. No need to move that fader, just touch and write starts.

With my Acer touchscreen this is not the case.
If I touch a fader (or any other control knob on my Nuendo) touch write does not trigger. Only when I move that fader or knob.
This results into a small lack and a ramp to written automation.

With Dtouch virtual faders everything acts just as a hw controller, touch a fader, write triggers on.
This is because DTouch application windows are designed to correctly support touch/multi_touch.
Cubendo windows aren't designed in this way. Why? Ask to Steinberg.
Tumppi wrote:
Now why is this also Dtouch issue...
It is because we lost the previous way Dtouch worked in the legacy mode and channel editors etc are now controlled actually with the DAWs interface and not by Dtouches layers.
No, "channel editor" never was managed by DTouch, so nothing is changed. The current behaviour is exacly the one of the DTouch legacy_mode.
Tumppi wrote:
So, my question: Is there a way to make my touchscreen to act like a HW controller so that the "write" starts straight when touching some control and not moving it?
Cubendo windows are designed by Steinberg guys; you should ask them for this.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies