Ergonomic setup for nuendo

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
colonynofi

Ergonomic setup for nuendo

Post by colonynofi » 05 Sep 2016 06:21

Hey All!

I am extremely excited about your technology, and have been following it for a while.
I'm now ready to completely re-work my room in order to accomodate a touch system for nuendo contol - with the aim of making my room far more ergonomic - and also eliminating some first reflections off my large desk I really am starting to dislike.

I know that I'm *not* going to be able to setup everything the way I dream - compromises need to be made.

Currently I use a single, large 4K monitor. This has replaced previous 2x1920x1080 monitors, and I much prefer the workflow. I've also used the 34" 21:9 screen for a while - and didn't mind that. I have a second, large TV for the "picture".

I work a lot in surround - but truth be told, 90% is quad, and the centre speaker gets in the way. I'm lucky to have a better "mix room" at my facility - and can always move in there if I need to do full 7.1 mixes. My surround setup is mainly for emotional feel while composing / creating soundscapes. So - I think compromise #1 is to loose the centre speaker. It just takes up TOO much room vertically. Even placing it horizontal takes up too much room.

I use 2 keyboards - and I interchange them depending on what I'm doing. A 61 note controller with the bells and whistles, and a 88note controller with very little other than keys. (Roland A88). While using the A88, I always have a bank of 8xmidi faders for further control close by. Be it a little korg micro-controller, or euphonix MC-Mix (I've hacked together a way to use them as midi - though its a poor hack! I'm waiting other motorized options soon - Icon M comes to mind! (given it runs in midi mode, it hopefully will play nicely with D-Touch!)

So - what I'm looking at doing.
The big one - No desk. Well, not really. The absolute smallest desk I can find which will fit a mac keyboard, scroll wheel mouse, and possibly the Icon M.
Dtouch on a 32(ish)" monitor + monitor arm - not sure what I'll attach it to, but I have some ideas - I have a very strong keyboard stand using what amounts to 2xA-frames. Everything about this is great - except for resolution. I simply cannot envision going back to a single 1920x1080 screen and working effectively. I'd be changing between views CONSTANTLY - and often just to check on things.
Question is - how to effectively add a second screen thats viewable most of the time, even when moving around the other monitor. I'd also need to (possibly) floor mount it... It would probably be a large-ish 4k monitor. I also will still need a monitor for the vision - perhaps mounted directly above it. This is the part which I'm getting a little tied in knots over - since I cannot see how it might work.
Has anyone ever done anything like that? I'm hoping I can get a large enough computer monitor that it can sit between my speakers a decent distance away, and still be readable. And at a reasonable height. (Though - then the PICS I'll be looking at will be REALLY high. Oh decisions decisions...)

Question. Is anyone using DFader and Dtouch at the same time? I would love this - and would love it even more if I can use the 9th fader on the below controller as the "d fader" - and the other 8 as motorized MIDI controllers.
http://iconproaudio.com/product/platform-m/

So am I completely mad? :).