Is it possible to make a macro that does this?

Discussions about Macros for DTouch for Pro Tools, OS X and Windows versions
~ufo~

Is it possible to make a macro that does this?

Post by ~ufo~ » 15 Oct 2016 19:23

I have a lot of 'print' tracks in my session template, sometimes up to twenty of them.
-Stereo Mix
-Mono Mix
-Instrumental
-A Cappella
-Drums
etc etc

all of these tracks are named using a certain naming convention.
Let's say "Artist - Title - Compapy - Stem type"

I'd like a macro that allows me to edit those track names and substitute "Artist" and "Title" by the correct information, while it leaves the other parts of the names intact.
Basically I'd like to hit a macro, be prompted for Artist name and Title name, and have it automatically update all my stem tracks' names.

Is that possible? Would be a big timesaver for me...
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

DT_bettinzana

Re: Is it possible to make a macro that does this?

Post by DT_bettinzana » 16 Oct 2016 10:56

~ufo~ wrote:I have a lot of 'print' tracks in my session template, sometimes up to twenty of them.
-Stereo Mix
-Mono Mix
-Instrumental
-A Cappella
-Drums
etc etc

I'd like a macro that allows me to edit those track names and substitute "Artist" and "Title" by the correct information, while it leaves the other parts of the names intact.
Basically I'd like to hit a macro, be prompted for Artist name and Title name, and have it automatically update all my stem tracks' names.

Hello! This is interesting and a pefect fit for our Python-driven macro engine ;)
I am not a Pro Tools super expert, but something tells me that it could be possible. More info tomorrow. Stay tuned!
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

Support Team

Post by Support Team » 17 Oct 2016 13:23

~ufo~ wrote:I have a lot of 'print' tracks in my session template, sometimes up to twenty of them.
-Stereo Mix
-Mono Mix
-Instrumental
-A Cappella
-Drums
etc etc

The attached Macro asks the user for an Artist name and a Title; then scans all Tracks in the Session, replacing all occurrences of two pre-defined texts with the new Artist and Title.
The texts are "#Artist#" and "#Title#", but you can configure them by editing the first Macro Command (commented as "Macro Configuration").

Does this answer your question?
To all users: if you find this Macro useful, please let us know: we may decide to add it to the Macro Examples on our website.
Thanks!
Attachments
Rename Template Tracks.dat
(5.4 KiB) Downloaded 619 times

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 17 Oct 2016 13:49

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to try that later today!
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 17 Oct 2016 21:26

I just tested it and it works great, there's only one little issue with it:

After it's done, a prompt appears saying 'waiting for Rename Track window to appear'.

Hitting continue or abort doesn't get rid of it.
Is there a way to avoid that? (maybe it has nothing to do with this macro but it's a bug in 1.5.2?
I'm not sure, it just popped up a few times...

Thanks!
Yvo van Gemert

Support Team

Post by Support Team » 19 Oct 2016 09:46

~ufo~ wrote:I just tested it and it works great, there's only one little issue with it:

After it's done, a prompt appears saying 'waiting for Rename Track window to appear'.

Hitting continue or abort doesn't get rid of it.
Is there a way to avoid that? (maybe it has nothing to do with this macro but it's a bug in 1.5.2?
I'm not sure, it just popped up a few times...

Thanks!
That was a bug in DTouch versions prior to 1.5.3, that affected OSX versions > 10.9 (Yosemite and later).
DTouch for Pro Tools (OSX) v1.5.3, available now on our website, fixes that problem.

In addition, we improved the Macro (it is faster now), and tested it with PT 10-11-12, win/mac.
The improved Macro is attached.
Attachments
Rename Template Tracks Faster.dat
(4.91 KiB) Downloaded 655 times

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 19 Oct 2016 11:15

Awesome, thanks!
Yvo van Gemert

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 19 Oct 2016 16:23

Cool, it works well now.
I just added a resync at the end to make sure the tracknames update in DTouch.
Awesome, this will be a great time saver for me!
Yvo van Gemert