Templates

Post here requests for new features about any Aida Sound product
kjd01

Templates

Post by kjd01 » 08 Nov 2018 12:57

I was a very early user of Dtouch and was one of the Beta tested. As such I have been a heavy legacy user from the start. What I loved about the legacy version was that the layout was done for you and you had a place to start and could customize from there. Yes, it was limiting in the customization but you could work straight out of the box.
The new standard version is extremely powerful and I can see the potential in what you can do but I am struggling to find the time and the patience to play with to get it how I want. It takes a lot of trial and error plus creative thought about how best to use it.
To be honest, if I was a new user and standard was what I used out of the box I think I would not like it. The reason is not that it isn't powerful or capable of doing what I want but it is basically an empty shell. If I don't know what I am doing and don't have lots of time to tweak I am not going to like it.
I see great pictures of other peoples setups and I am trying to recreate them to just end up in a mess and most of the time a failure. I waste hours of time to not get the results I was hoping for.

I would love to see the program come with a set of templates that gives you something very useable and powerful straight out of the box. This would include macros and layouts for different functions. This then would put the program back in a user-friendly state like Legacy was but with greater customizer if you want it.
Based on my experience I would imagine this to be a big job. Since so many users in the forums have already created some really great layouts why not pay them to provide you with some templates and macros and you then just bundle them up maybe make a few tweaks and release them.

I loved Dtouch in Legacy and I want to love it in standard but I haven't. I have tried over and over again and I just can't get it to a place that I love it again. I put this down to my lack of knowledge of all the little tricks and creative ideas people have. If there were a few templates that really made this functional straight out of the box I think I would love it again.

orthogonalrecords

Re: Templates

Post by orthogonalrecords » 08 Nov 2018 17:55

I totally agree that templates to start from would be a good idea.

Then everyone could work his way from there and refine the template that best fits the personal workflow.

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 08 Nov 2018 20:40

kjd01 wrote:
08 Nov 2018 12:57
I was a very early user of Dtouch and was one of the Beta tested. As such I have been a heavy legacy user from the start. What I loved about the legacy version was that the layout was done for you and you had a place to start and could customize from there. Yes, it was limiting in the customization but you could work straight out of the box.
The new standard version is extremely powerful and I can see the potential in what you can do but I am struggling to find the time and the patience to play with to get it how I want. It takes a lot of trial and error plus creative thought about how best to use it.
To be honest, if I was a new user and standard was what I used out of the box I think I would not like it. The reason is not that it isn't powerful or capable of doing what I want but it is basically an empty shell. If I don't know what I am doing and don't have lots of time to tweak I am not going to like it.
I see great pictures of other peoples setups and I am trying to recreate them to just end up in a mess and most of the time a failure. I waste hours of time to not get the results I was hoping for.

I would love to see the program come with a set of templates that gives you something very useable and powerful straight out of the box. This would include macros and layouts for different functions. This then would put the program back in a user-friendly state like Legacy was but with greater customizer if you want it.
OK :D
kjd01 wrote:
Based on my experience I would imagine this to be a big job.
Not so big.
kjd01 wrote:
Since so many users in the forums have already created some really great layouts why not pay them to provide you with some templates and macros and you then just bundle them up maybe make a few tweaks and release them.
OK, but we don't need to pay somebody for building workspaces. It is a matter of seconds to move and resize windows and save a workspace.
The macros are a different matter, but how "general purpose" are them?
kjd01 wrote:
I loved Dtouch in Legacy and I want to love it in standard but I haven't. I have tried over and over again and I just can't get it to a place that I love it again. I put this down to my lack of knowledge of all the little tricks and creative ideas people have. If there were a few templates that really made this functional straight out of the box I think I would love it again.
OK, I understand you, but a workspace is very very very dependent on the user displays setup. No one is like another. Probably only the most simple: the single 1920x1080 touchscreen with no other displays. How many users fall in this cathegory?

Lets think that we offer one "basic" template. You start DTouch in trial mode and it starts with the basic template (so simple to be almost useless). You have two displays. After the start of DTouch (of course without reading one single page of that fucking User Guide with 200 pages) you will see a total mess => potential user: "I had to purchase an iLok dongle to discover that DTouch is a piece of shit ... you fucking italians" :evil:

In my opinion it isn't a good idea and it was exactly the limitation of the old "legacy mode".
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

Havoc911

Post by Havoc911 » 09 Nov 2018 00:26

There are people who will build orchestral templates for users who don't have the time or desire to do so themselves. Maybe a similar solution would work here?

kjd01

Post by kjd01 » 09 Nov 2018 02:44

Maybe a repository that people could upload their templates could be a solution.

On the comment of the iLOk issue. Is it a big change to offer the cloud-based iLok license, so people could trial without buying a physical iLok. It might even increase sales.

I get what you are saying about the basic template for trial users but that is where I see a bundle of templates. Single Monitor, Dual Monitor, Project View, Mix View, Midi Based Recording, Audio Based Recording. These are just random thoughts so don't take these as exactly what you should offer.
I read the manual so for me, I would not complain and would learn what to do. You can't solve all the problems with users that won't read the manual that is just life. You could provide some great pictures of other Dtouch users layouts to trial users to show the potential in their setup if they purchase.

As for the monitor sizes, you could do them with one size only and give a brief instruction on what to do if they have a different monitor size. Or you could create a couple of templates for the most popular sized monitors and again still state what they should do if their monitor is not one of those sizes.

To me, it would give me a starting point and some ideas of how I might use it. At the moment the options and possibilities are so big that I can't even imagine how I could set it up and when I do I find I can't do it that way because of a misplaced menu bar or a window getting hidden etc.

Just thoughts you do what you think best with them.

Tumppi

Post by Tumppi » 09 Nov 2018 11:17

Although I am already pretty much where I want to be with Dtouch I can totally see the idea in behind build in templates. I believe templates for one and two monitor setups is sufficient and forceesolution 1920...

Now if only I had my daw computer up and running. The os drive crashed 😬
gear:
Nuendo, latest
Pro Tools 12.5
Win10 64bit
Acer 27" touch screen
RME FF800

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 09 Nov 2018 17:41

Havoc911 wrote:
09 Nov 2018 00:26
There are people who will build orchestral templates for users who don't have the time or desire to do so themselves. Maybe a similar solution would work here?
The problem is that the workspaces are dependent on the displays setup. If the coordinates are different (and they are in 99% of the cases), you cannot use the workspace of another user.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 09 Nov 2018 17:49

kjd01 wrote:
09 Nov 2018 02:44
On the comment of the iLOk issue. Is it a big change to offer the cloud-based iLok license, so people could trial without buying a physical iLok. It might even increase sales.
iLok Clud is not available to all the developers. It is dependent on the decision of PACE-AP. At the moment it isn't a mainstream tool, probably because PACE-AP is still in near-BETA status with it.
kjd01 wrote:
09 Nov 2018 02:44
As for the monitor sizes, you could do them with one size only and give a brief instruction on what to do if they have a different monitor size. Or you could create a couple of templates for the most popular sized monitors and again still state what they should do if their monitor is not one of those sizes.
Honestly speaking: is so difficult today to start DTouch in its simplest format (only one floating mixer)?
I think that even the simplest template has a very high probability to be a mess.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies