Consolidate Hi Res Meter and DT Auto

Post here requests for new features about any Aida Sound product
~ufo~

Consolidate Hi Res Meter and DT Auto

Post by ~ufo~ » 10 May 2016 16:03

Hi,

I like the new DTouch for Pro Tools on OS X.

What I don't like is having to change between hi res meters and the handy DT Auto functions all the time, certainly now that requires a tap on a button which opens a menu to choose from.
It seems to me that there's plenty of space underneath the hi res meters to put those three DT auto buttons. eliminating the need for a seperate DT auto in my opinion.

That way you just need one button in the toolbar to toggle between the Hi Res/DT Auto view and PT auto view (I never use that anyway)

Is this possible? It would be a great help to me.

Thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-05-10 17.55.04.png
Screenshot 2016-05-10 17.55.04.png (9.9 KiB) Viewed 10524 times
Screenshot 2016-05-10 17.55.23.png
Screenshot 2016-05-10 17.55.23.png (8.86 KiB) Viewed 10524 times
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

DT_bettinzana

Re: Consolidate Hi Res Meter and DT Auto

Post by DT_bettinzana » 10 May 2016 16:56

Hello, we are doing a lot more!
At the moment we are testing it on DTouch for Nuendo, but soon we will program it on every version of DTouch.
We are adding a ch_strip wizard to design user-defined strips. With it you can insert your preferred buttons in a ch_strip template and you can define till 10 different types.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 10 May 2016 17:19

Perfect!
Yvo van Gemert
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12 on 16 Core Ryzen 3950X, Iiyama T27, 23" Apple Cinema display, iPad with PT | Control app, no lava lamp.

chazC

Post by chazC » 10 May 2016 21:35

DT_bettinzana wrote:We are adding a ch_strip wizard to design user-defined strips. With it you can insert your preferred buttons in a ch_strip template and you can define till 10 different types.
That's fantastic - thanks!
--

Chaz

Pro Tools 11HD/2018 | Cubase Pro 10/Nuendo 8 | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mk2d | DTouch (Acer 272HL) | Console 1 Mk2 | Komplete Kontrol S49

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 14 Aug 2016 13:15

DT_bettinzana wrote:Hello, we are doing a lot more!
At the moment we are testing it on DTouch for Nuendo, but soon we will program it on every version of DTouch.
We are adding a ch_strip wizard to design user-defined strips. With it you can insert your preferred buttons in a ch_strip template and you can define till 10 different types.
Hi, I'm eagerly awaiting this functionality!

A few more things I would like to add:

There are several reason why I spend quite a lot of time operating Pro Tools with DTouch running, but with the DTouch faders hidden.
I'll name a few in case there's anything you can do about that, or in case it helps with your development process.

1. The peak values, displayed underneath the Pro Tools fader, next to the volume value, are very valuable to me and I click on them a lot.
2. right clicking on a channel/track's name shows a dropdown menu with functions I use a lot.
3. alt/option clicking on things to set them to default is something I'm used to, I miss that in DTouch with the hi res meter.

If I could do all of these things with the DTouch faders on, I would probably not hide them much anymore.

Can you give me an idea if you will be able to solve these problems for me with future updates?

Thanks in advance!
Yvo van Gemert

Holger

Post by Holger » 19 Aug 2016 14:07

~ufo~ wrote: There are several reason why I spend quite a lot of time operating Pro Tools with DTouch running, but with the DTouch faders hidden.
I'll name a few in case there's anything you can do about that, or in case it helps with your development process.

1. The peak values, displayed underneath the Pro Tools fader, next to the volume value, are very valuable to me and I click on them a lot.
2. right clicking on a channel/track's name shows a dropdown menu with functions I use a lot.
3. alt/option clicking on things to set them to default is something I'm used to, I miss that in DTouch with the hi res meter.

If I could do all of these things with the DTouch faders on, I would probably not hide them much anymore.
+1

Also, the click functions with the overlay on are right now quite inconsistent. I can't imagine it is intended like this:

OPT + Clicking on the „Input Monitoring“ button works fine

OPT + Clicking the Mute, Solo and Rec buttons works, but lets PT disappear
OPT + Touching the Mute, Solo and Rec buttons works as expected

OPT + Clicking Fader and Pan don’t work and lets PT disappear.
OPT + Touching Pan doesn’t do anything

It would be great if OPT+Click and OPT+Touch would produce the same results. For example as an alternative to swiping over buttons.
And it would be handy to reset Pan and Fader with the help of OPT, instead of switching to DT Auto
 MBPr 15" (Mid 2015) i7, Pro Tools 12.4, Studio One 3, UA Apollo Quad Firewire, DTouch (Hanns.G HT273HPB)

Support Team

Post by Support Team » 29 Aug 2016 11:50

~ufo~ wrote:There are several reason why I spend quite a lot of time operating Pro Tools with DTouch running, but with the DTouch faders hidden.

Can you give me an idea if you will be able to solve these problems for me with future updates?

Thanks in advance!
Hi ~ufo~ and thanks for your suggestions!

1. We think it will be possible to extend the "transparent area" that makes the Pro Tools meter visible, in order to include the peak value. It will be clickable, too. This will be implemented in a future DTouch release; we just need to come up with a clean and nice user interface for it.
2. We performed a quick test and this should be feasible, too. We need to think about the user interface that makes this menu appear.
3. Can you please explain exactly what are you missing? Please create a list. We would then check that list and see what can be done. Please note that not all alt/opt + clicks may be implemented (see below, reply to Holger).

Holger wrote: Also, the click functions with the overlay on are right now quite inconsistent. I can't imagine it is intended like this:

OPT + Clicking on the „Input Monitoring“ button works fine

OPT + Clicking the Mute, Solo and Rec buttons works, but lets PT disappear
OPT + Touching the Mute, Solo and Rec buttons works as expected

OPT + Clicking Fader and Pan don’t work and lets PT disappear.
OPT + Touching Pan doesn’t do anything

It would be great if OPT+Click and OPT+Touch would produce the same results. For example as an alternative to swiping over buttons.
And it would be handy to reset Pan and Fader with the help of OPT, instead of switching to DT Auto
Foreword:
Keep in mind that DTouch "owns" your touchscreen (it receives data directly from it); while macOS "owns" your mouse, and then forwards mouse data to DTouch.

Said that, DTouch cannot have the same behavior with a touch and a click, due to the Operating System restrictions.
In particular, on macOS, OPT+clicking an app hides all other apps. This behavior cannot be deactivated. This is an Apple decision. You can check it yourself by opening, for example, the Calculator and Pro Tools and making some OPT+click tests.

- OPT+Clicking on Input monitoring works fine because there's a "hole" in the DTouch Mixer, that allows you to interact directly with Pro Tools. You can see that "hole" by opening DTouch, Pro Tools, starting DTouch by hitting "RUN" and then hiding or closing Pro Tools.

- OPT+Clicking Mute/Solo/Rec makes PT disappear because of the aforementioned macOS "feature".
- OPT+Touching Mute/Solo/Rec works correctly because macOS is not aware of your finger touch: DTouch is handling it (and so, it does The Right Thing ;) ).

- OPT+Clicking Fader/Pan makes PT disappear because of the aforementioned macOS "feature".
- OPT+Touching Pan: we will evaluate adding the pan reset in this case. Thanks for the suggestion!

~ufo~

Re:

Post by ~ufo~ » 31 Aug 2016 18:55

DT_support wrote:
~ufo~ wrote: 3. alt/option clicking on things to set them to default is something I'm used to, I miss that in DTouch with the hi res meter.
3. Can you please explain exactly what are you missing? Please create a list. We would then check that list and see what can be done. Please
Well if I could have one mixer view with a fader value reset button, pan value reset button, high res meter, clickable peak value indicator and right clickable track name, it would go a long way. I understand alt clicking is not possible. Then how about multitouch gestures?
How about a two finger tap resets a value?
Yvo van Gemert

Support Team

Re: Re:

Post by Support Team » 02 Sep 2016 09:48

~ufo~ wrote:
DT_support wrote:
~ufo~ wrote: 3. alt/option clicking on things to set them to default is something I'm used to, I miss that in DTouch with the hi res meter.
3. Can you please explain exactly what are you missing? Please create a list. We would then check that list and see what can be done.
Well if I could have one mixer view with a fader value reset button, pan value reset button, high res meter, clickable peak value indicator and right clickable track name, it would go a long way.
Fader value reset and pan value reset are already implemented. You will be able to assign them to a Reconfigurable Strip.
High-res meter, with clickable peak value will be one of the Reconfigurable Strip Types that will be available.
The Track Name right-click menu, as we previously said, should be feasible.
Let's wait for the Reconfigurable Strips to come alive; we are sure they will really satisfy your requirements!
Then we can talk more about them, should you have further suggestions.
Thanks!

~ufo~

Post by ~ufo~ » 02 Sep 2016 10:19

Great, looking forward to it!
Yvo van Gemert