What can D-Touch do for me?

You can talk about anything you like in this forum
WearyTraveler37

What can D-Touch do for me?

Post by WearyTraveler37 » 27 Jun 2016 21:33

I've been doing extensive research on the touchscreen technology and where the gaps are. As a Sonar user I was willing to invest in touch for a while, but Sonar fell short of implementing it how I like and with support lacking for any true hardware controller..given the discontinued vs700, I've can't say that I'm willing to ride this train much longer. But, all is not lost as it looks like D-Touch is the stop I want to get off at. I've watched as many videos as I could find and read a number of user forums to get the sense that this software will provide the level of control I want in my studio from a touch interface. But, I want to make sure I under the level of control I get, so here are my questions?

I've read that I can control plugins and VSTIs? What plugins and instruments are not supported? I've read that touch support for plugins and instruments is independent of the host implementation.

Can I use d-touch on two touchscreens? One for editing and one for mixing?

Can I edit audio or midi clips? Can I chop up a sample using d-touch?

I use Maschine Studio and thinking of adding a master keyboard controller to this setup. Is there and impact of using these devices in conjunction with D-touch?

I've seen the mix view and can see that the level of control is smooth and fluid, my concerns are more so for the editing portions and overall ability to access major functions of Cubase without the having to go to my mouse so much. Is this possible with D-touch? Is the functionality
to that degree? Are people finding D-touch as a compelling reason to upgrade their existing monitor setup?

I've seen the Sonar videos and compared to the D-touch software its not even close, not in my opinion anyway...D-touch wins hands down. But, I'd love so user perspective on the issue. Likes and dislikes. All opinions are greatly appreciated!

DT_bettinzana

Re: What can D-Touch do for me?

Post by DT_bettinzana » 28 Jun 2016 15:39

Hello, I want to help you!
Are you still interested in Sonar or do you want to switch to a different DAW? In this last case, what DAW and what Operating System?
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

brucerothwell

Post by brucerothwell » 28 Jun 2016 18:30

I'll give you some response, based on my use of DTouch with Pro Tools, on OSX, with a Zaagtech IR touchframe on a 42" tv:
WearyTraveler37 wrote:I've read that I can control plugins and VSTIs? What plugins and instruments are not supported? I've read that touch support for plugins and instruments is independent of the host implementation.
Because the Zaagtech driver for OSX brings touch capability, I have found that I can control any aspect of Pro Tools with my fingers. The limitations are found in the GUI design of any given plugin -- size of the GUI elements. Most will not offer multitouch, however. Multitouch is really applicable for the DTouch faders.
WearyTraveler37 wrote:Can I use d-touch on two touchscreens? One for editing and one for mixing?
I believe that is not possible yet, but Silvano can confirm that. I have one touchscreen, and the other is visual only. I have my 42" touchscreen arranged in a horizontal fashion, at a 25 degree angle off horizontal -- similar to that of a real console. My other monitor, 27" is mounted above/behind that, on the same "shelf" areas as my nearfield monitors.

WearyTraveler37 wrote:Can I edit audio or midi clips? Can I chop up a sample using d-touch?
Yes. When you use DTouch, you use the control panel to flip between the mix and the edit screens, and each has some specialized functions, some of which enable working with objects on the timeline.
WearyTraveler37 wrote:Are people finding D-touch as a compelling reason to upgrade their existing monitor setup?
Indeed. DTouch allows you to gain the type of DAW enhancement seen in Slate Raven, but allows you to make choices in displays as you see fit.

WearyTraveler37

Post by WearyTraveler37 » 29 Jun 2016 01:04

DT_bettinzana wrote:Hello, I want to help you!
Are you still interested in Sonar or do you want to switch to a different DAW? In this last case, what DAW and what Operating System?
Hi,

I am a current Sonar user and I really do not want to move away from Sonar. But, everything I've read and have seen suggest touch in Sonar is not as comprehensive as D-touch for Cubase or Protools. I know the console in Sonar is very touch friendly, but things like certain pro channel modules do not work as expected. Also a lot of features in the track view are not touch enabled. The track view can be navigated via touch, but editing is not an option. Also, Cakewalk is on record with saying they don't want to replace the mouse and keyboard, but rather compliment it. This vision doesn't work for me and thus I've begun exploring alternatives.

I'm a software user. I primarily work with Maschine, the Spectrasonic suite, Diva, Emulator X3, and a lot of third party plugins from DMG, Soundtoys & WaveArts. I'm extremely interested in Cubase for Windows 10. Unless Devil's Technologies is making a D-touch for Sonar, I'm probably going to jump ship in the near future. And after reading "Brucerothwell's" reply, I think D-touch for Cubase is a clear winner...granted he was using ProTools, the research I've been doing suggest that Cubase\Protools work very similarly with D-touch.

WearyTraveler37

Post by WearyTraveler37 » 29 Jun 2016 01:27

brucerothwell wrote:I'll give you some response, based on my use of DTouch with Pro Tools, on OSX, with a Zaagtech IR touchframe on a 42" tv:
WearyTraveler37 wrote:I've read that I can control plugins and VSTIs? What plugins and instruments are not supported? I've read that touch support for plugins and instruments is independent of the host implementation.
Because the Zaagtech driver for OSX brings touch capability, I have found that I can control any aspect of Pro Tools with my fingers. The limitations are found in the GUI design of any given plugin -- size of the GUI elements. Most will not offer multitouch, however. Multitouch is really applicable for the DTouch faders.
WearyTraveler37 wrote:Can I use d-touch on two touchscreens? One for editing and one for mixing?
I believe that is not possible yet, but Silvano can confirm that. I have one touchscreen, and the other is visual only. I have my 42" touchscreen arranged in a horizontal fashion, at a 25 degree angle off horizontal -- similar to that of a real console. My other monitor, 27" is mounted above/behind that, on the same "shelf" areas as my nearfield monitors.

WearyTraveler37 wrote:Can I edit audio or midi clips? Can I chop up a sample using d-touch?
Yes. When you use DTouch, you use the control panel to flip between the mix and the edit screens, and each has some specialized functions, some of which enable working with objects on the timeline.
WearyTraveler37 wrote:Are people finding D-touch as a compelling reason to upgrade their existing monitor setup?
Indeed. DTouch allows you to gain the type of DAW enhancement seen in Slate Raven, but allows you to make choices in displays as you see fit.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I love your setup and its one way I have envisioned using a touchscreen when I make that leap. Is there a reason you choose Zaagtech overlay over PQ Labs overlay? Not being able to control all my plugins and VSTIs isn't a deal breaker, I have maschine and novation controllers for that.

I also read on the site something about external controllers and d-touch? I think it read that d-touch must be the only external controller? Can you or anyone else speak to this?

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 29 Jun 2016 17:01

WearyTraveler37 wrote:
DT_bettinzana wrote:Hello, I want to help you!
Hi,

I am a current Sonar user and I really do not want to move away from Sonar. But, everything I've read and have seen suggest touch in Sonar is not as comprehensive as D-touch for Cubase or Protools. I know the console in Sonar is very touch friendly, but things like certain pro channel modules do not work as expected. Also a lot of features in the track view are not touch enabled. The track view can be navigated via touch, but editing is not an option. Also, Cakewalk is on record with saying they don't want to replace the mouse and keyboard, but rather compliment it. This vision doesn't work for me and thus I've begun exploring alternatives.

I'm a software user. I primarily work with Maschine, the Spectrasonic suite, Diva, Emulator X3, and a lot of third party plugins from DMG, Soundtoys & WaveArts. I'm extremely interested in Cubase for Windows 10. Unless Devil's Technologies is making a D-touch for Sonar, I'm probably going to jump ship in the near future. And after reading "Brucerothwell's" reply, I think D-touch for Cubase is a clear winner...granted he was using ProTools, the research I've been doing suggest that Cubase\Protools work very similarly with D-touch.
Hello!

We don't support Sonar and I think that we will never support it. There are two main reasons:

1) Sonar already have a multi-touch support; even if you consider it not perfect, they could improve it and make a "DTouch for Sonar" obsolete.
2) Probably, Sonar is not so used as Cubase or Pro Tools.

So, lets speak about DTouch for Cubase:

1) A total replacement of the keyboard and mouse is not realistic. You could reduce their use, but not avoid them. Honestly, I am a huge supporter of the QWERTY keyboard; I like it and I still consider it one of the fastest editing tools. DTouch can extend the power of a QWERTY keyboard with what we call Keyboard Macro Layouts.

2) DTouch is an "extension" to Cubase. We have added a lot of features to the Cubase GUI with the touch-control in mind. You can do a lot of touch-based editing in the project window but not everything is perfect. I am an HW/SW designer, not a vendor, and I want to be honest with you!
We plan to improve one of our editing tool (the NavPad) and soon you will be able to finely edit (move, trim, ...) your Events/MIDI_notes with a super-accurate touch_enabled tool; with the new NavPad (which deserves a new name) you will be able to do a lot more accurate editing than what you can do with the direct finger manipulation of Events and MIDI notes.

3) "brucerothwell" commented on DTouch for Pro Tools. I am glad to tell you that DTouch for Cubase is A LOT MORE POWERFUL than DTouch for Pro Tools ... not because we hate Pro Tools, but because we have developed a very deep integration with Cubendo thanks to the Steinberg Remote Control SDK. Unfortunately Pro Tools can only be controlled by the HUI protocol which is a toy compared to the Steinberg SDK.

4) Maschine and MIDI master keyboard: I see no potential interference with DTouch, but you could check it with the DTouch trial version.

5) I know that sometimes our SW are compared with the SlateMT Raven. We proudly say that our products are better than the Raven SW on many aspects. DTouch for Pro Tools could be considered in the same league as Raven, but DTouch for Cubase is light years ahead of Raven for Cubase.

So, to resume:

DTouch for Sonar is not an option.
DTouch for Cubendo is a great tool with a lot of chances for improvements. If you want (I encourage you!), you can install a trial version and test it with a mouse (as a touchscreen emulator) to have an idea of the DTouch capabilities.

Hope this helps!
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 29 Jun 2016 17:06

brucerothwell wrote:
I believe that is not possible yet, but Silvano can confirm that.
Hello Bruce, you are right, but in 2-3 days this will change:
we will release a new version of DTouch for Pro Tools (OS X) which supports multi multitouchscreens on OS X. You can also mix (connect) HID and TUIO touchscreens on the same Mac.

On Windows this is natively supported by the operating system.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

WearyTraveler37

Post by WearyTraveler37 » 30 Jun 2016 09:15

DT_bettinzana wrote: Hello!

We don't support Sonar and I think that we will never support it. There are two main reasons:

1) Sonar already have a multi-touch support; even if you consider it not perfect, they could improve it and make a "DTouch for Sonar" obsolete.
2) Probably, Sonar is not so used as Cubase or Pro Tools.
The makes perfect sense!
DT_bettinzana wrote: So, lets speak about DTouch for Cubase:

1) A total replacement of the keyboard and mouse is not realistic. You could reduce their use, but not avoid them. Honestly, I am a huge supporter of the QWERTY keyboard; I like it and I still consider it one of the fastest editing tools. DTouch can extend the power of a QWERTY keyboard with what we call Keyboard Macro Layouts.
A reduction in mouse and keyboard is a great desire. I don't know why, but after twisting knobs on Mashince or my keyboard controller, I don't want to touch my mouse. The PC keyboard is invaluable, its the mouse that I find antiquated and touch seems like a logical progression, especially in the studio.
DT_bettinzana wrote: 2) DTouch is an "extension" to Cubase. We have added a lot of features to the Cubase GUI with the touch-control in mind. You can do a lot of touch-based editing in the project window but not everything is perfect. I am an HW/SW designer, not a vendor, and I want to be honest with you!
We plan to improve one of our editing tool (the NavPad) and soon you will be able to finely edit (move, trim, ...) your Events/MIDI_notes with a super-accurate touch_enabled tool; with the new NavPad (which deserves a new name) you will be able to do a lot more accurate editing than what you can do with the direct finger manipulation of Events and MIDI notes.
I appreciate the honesty. I like that you are up front about the direction of develop and it just reinforces my belief that your D-touch software is the exact product I'm looking for.
DT_bettinzana wrote: 3) "brucerothwell" commented on DTouch for Pro Tools. I am glad to tell you that DTouch for Cubase is A LOT MORE POWERFUL than DTouch for Pro Tools ... not because we hate Pro Tools, but because we have developed a very deep integration with Cubendo thanks to the Steinberg Remote Control SDK. Unfortunately Pro Tools can only be controlled by the HUI protocol which is a toy compared to the Steinberg SDK.
It keeps getting better!
DT_bettinzana wrote: 4) Maschine and MIDI master keyboard: I see no potential interference with DTouch, but you could check it with the DTouch trial version.

5) I know that sometimes our SW are compared with the SlateMT Raven. We proudly say that our products are better than the Raven SW on many aspects. DTouch for Pro Tools could be considered in the same league as Raven, but DTouch for Cubase is light years ahead of Raven for Cubase.

So, to resume:

DTouch for Sonar is not an option.
DTouch for Cubendo is a great tool with a lot of chances for improvements. If you want (I encourage you!), you can install a trial version and test it with a mouse (as a touchscreen emulator) to have an idea of the DTouch capabilities.

Hope this helps!
I will be making the switch!

Let me also say, I've never experienced such great customer service from a software company before, until now. Very informative and very personable plus it was free. I'm very excited to use this product...You guys rock!

DT_bettinzana

Post by DT_bettinzana » 30 Jun 2016 14:32

WearyTraveler37 wrote:Let me also say, I've never experienced such great customer service from a software company before, until now. Very informative and very personable plus it was free. I'm very excited to use this product...You guys rock!
You are welcome!

I forgot to answer to one of your previous questions: "I also read on the site something about external controllers and d-touch? I think it read that d-touch must be the only external controller? Can you or anyone else speak to this?"

That sentence on our web-site is very conservative; we wanted that a user contact us before the DTouch purchase to check the compatibility of DTouch with an already existing controllers setup.
So, the problem is the following: if you connect a "mixer controller" DIRECTLY TO CUBASE, it will cause a lot of conflicts with DTouch. When I say "mixer controller", I mean an HW (or virtual controller app) which uses some mixer control protocols like HUI or Mackie Control protocols; in other words, every controller which sends fader movements (or mute, solo, etc ...) or transport commands to the DAW. We are not speaking about a MIDI master keyboard which sends MIDI notes, cc, etc ...

Anyway, if you want to use your preferred physical fader controller (like a Mackie HUI, Presonus Faderport, etc ...), IF IT IS HUI OR MACKIE CONTROL COMPATIBLE, you can virtually connect it to DTouch. Then DTouch will behave as a smart "bridge" and will forward the fader movements (or other messages) to the DAW. In this case, the physical controller becomes an extension of DTouch.
Silvano Bettinzana
Devil Technologies

cypriancassar

Post by cypriancassar » 05 Sep 2016 12:09

hello,

I am already using the Tascam FW 1884 controller

will this interfere with the dtouch pls?

I am using Cubase 8.5 on windows 7

thanks